Tuesday, 18 August 2026

Drawing Conclusions

Some bloggers are really good at art - Fat Dormouse  often adds a sketch to her posts, as does Kirsten. Sometimes it is a carefully constructed piece, other times a quick 5 minute sketch. But I am just no good at this. I have tried, believe me. In my personal sewing journal, I log all the projects I get involved in [in August I have altered 4 garments for friends and neighbours] but my sketches of these trousers and tops and dresses look nothing like the clothing I have been working on. And as for the garden logbook where I list my produce... Well I only managed six tomatoes this year, and I didn't think the 6 red scribbled circles are that spectacular.
I suspect FD & K would both encourage me by saying it is a practice thing, develop the habit of a 5 minute sketch every day and one will soon be creating great artwork [in my case, probably less Poulencs, more Pollocks!] 
I decided not to give up too soon. So over the weekend,  I marked the "eggs-to-be-used-up-first" with a red sharpie. It's a start...

Any suggestions for improving my drawing will be welcome!


6 comments:

  1. One of my cousins married a commercial artist (he did the Winnie the Pooh ads for Gales honey way back) -he could do instant sketches that were amazingly good likenesses of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fabulous. They should bring back their old jingle "Gales, Gales, pass the honey please. Think about the honey, think about the bees!"

      Delete
  2. Oh how I envy both Kirsten and FD! Like you, I lack the ability but I keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the eggs! The faces are so expressive, you can tell what they are thinking!
    I have an ambition to keep my eggs in a rack once I have a new kitchen.
    Step one for art; draw egg shapes randomly a piece of paper, add faces, arms and legs...
    Post it in your next blog?

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!