As before, a question I have answered for myself, and a second one where I need your input please!
[1] Am I Picking Up Good Hydration?
I think so, and I am humming Beach Boys Songs all the time, in this long, hot summer. My best hydration tip is use a smallish coffee flask, and put ice cubes in when you fill it. That keeps the water chilled all day. A big flask is just too heavy to carry around - and you can usually find a suitable tap for refilling if you drink the lot. Eating food with a high water content is really helpful too. A cubes of water melon, slices of cucumber, a thin broth type soup - all these help hydrate. I'm also leaving a filled bowl at the end of the past for all the pooches who potter past with their owners in the blistering heat. Our pets need hydrating too.
Have you any experience of Box Caterpillars?
[2] Box Shocks?!?
One of my lovely little box trees is looking really sparse and sad. Lots of leaves have gone brown and crispy. I have kept watering and some new ones have appeared, but it has completely lots its charming conical shape. SIL suggested it was in the wrong spot by the front door, as it is in full sun all day. She recommended moving it to the shade and giving it a long cool drink in a bucket of water. As I was doing that, one of the many dog walkers passed, and said "Box Caterpillar!" It seems these little beasties are running rampant through the village . "We had a box hedge for twenty years and it has disappeared almost overnight." I cannot see any caterpillars on either bush. Should I leave the brown crispy foliage in situ or attempt to brush it away? I will not attempt to trim the topiary into shape until it has a full head of lush green foliage,Have you any experience of Box Caterpillars?
Thank you all. The box on the other side of the front door seems ok. But I will sadly have to dispose of this one....


Box caterpillars are notorious; some ornamental gardens at NT and other sites have replaced their box hedges for knot gardens entirely.
ReplyDeleteI've just read an article on staying hydrated; it said that fresh fruit and veg, ice lollies, yoghurt all play their part. I like jasmine tea, hot, warm or cold.
🙁
Deletesadly yes to Box caterpillar; only solution, change to another plant
ReplyDeleteJill x
🙁
DeleteI cannot see any cobwebs in your picture, so I would suggest it’s box blight, a fungal disease which is virtually impossible to treat successfully, alas.
ReplyDelete🙁
DeleteSadly it looks like box blight. The only thing to do is remove the shrub and earth, do not put in compost, and remove completely from your garden. Also wash out the pot it was in. This seems to be worse in warm conditions. It spreads very quickly. Regards Sue H
ReplyDelete🙁
DeleteI’ve been taking my water bottle with me whenever I’m out and taking small drinks throughout the time I’m out. No eclipse for us as it was overcast and drizzly. Another hot day here so I must pace myself so that I get some chores done. Catriona
ReplyDelete🥵
DeleteIf you can't see caterpillars it is more likely to be box blight.I don't think there is anything you can do about blight. Don't add any of the dead material to compost heads or council green waste, burn if possible or but in normal household waste bin. Keep it well away from your healthy plant and cross your fingers.
ReplyDeleteJane in Nottinghamshire
we have one of those huge "Stanley" 32 oz water holders that keep water cold all day, Stanley is a brand over here, ours are knock off's!! We need to keep hydrated in the heat. No idea about your shrub.
ReplyDeleteDon't dispose of your box plant in your garden bin, as box blight/caterpillars is rampant. You will have to put it in your ordinary refuse bin and with the compost too. Give the pot a good wash in Jeyes Fluid. Euonymous looks a lot like box, but is far more tolerant. Xx
ReplyDeleteYes, unfortunately these caterpillars munched through all of our box plants. We tried to pick them off and used soapy water but it was useless. They all had to be dug up.
ReplyDelete