Sunday 28 December 2014

A Christmas Pause

pause in advent_thumb[2]

Advent is over, and Christmas has come. I have to say a huge thank-you to everyone who took part in the Pause this year. I’ve never hosted this before and it has been a real privilege. I’ve read all the posts – and been amazed, challenged and encouraged. Thank you everyone.

My own final personal pause came at a couple of minutes past midnight on Christmas Day – so technically no longer Advent – but I did want to share it. I took the midnight carols at a nearby chapel who are currently without a pastor. I chose Christina Rosetti’s ‘other’ poem[i.e. not Bleak Midwinter] as one of the carols…

Love came down at Christmas,
Love all lovely, Love Divine,
Love was born at Christmas,
Star and Angels gave the sign.

As the service finished, on the dot of midnight, I went to the door and hugged, or shook hands with the people as they left. One young woman was weeping. She stood beside me, and I whispered “It’s OK, this is a safe place to weep. We can talk in a minute” She said she just wanted to thank me for picking this carol. She had not known it till last week, when she read it in a book – and it had immediately become very important. The last few years had been really hard and she had felt let down and unloved by people she had trusted. When she read the poem, she realised that God is unfailing love, and He will always be there for her, and the birth of Jesus at Christmastime proved it. The fact that I had chosen this piece for the carol service had confirmed that truth for her, and given her fresh hope for the year ahead.

I was so glad that her Christmas was brighter – and her heart full of hope – and thrilled she had shared it with me. We will probably never meet again – but I pray that she continues to feel God’s love.

I am having a fairly quiet day today – Bob has driven back to preach at Kirby – and then this evening he will be back and we have family and friends visiting. Hope your day is a good one too [with not to much snow or travel disruption!]

7 comments:

  1. That was a beautiful story.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased that you've done an extra - I've enjoyed everyone's pauses. I've also enjoyed writing them and I've done an extra one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was one of the two hymns at our wedding. This woman's experience is beautiful. Thank you for taking on the baton of the Advent Pauses. They are an integral part of the blog world's Christmas now, I think. Bless Floss for starting it and you for continuing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, this is brilliant! Thank you for sharing!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. How special and sweet. Thank you for hosting the Pauses, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I didn't realise you were hosting this this year! If I had realised I would have joined in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for hosting this years pause in advent. This was my first time taking part and I really enjoyed reading everyones post.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!