Sunday 14 December 2014

Pause In Advent # 3

lesley candle

I blogged about this candle last year – on Dec 29th-  explaining it was a gift from a friend, and that I intended to light it frequently, and not just keep it as a Christmas decoration. It would be a reminder to “be the light” for Jesus. I have  actually managed to keep up this resolution!

Every Sunday during 2014, when we have been at home for lunch, I have set the candle in the middle of the table, and lit it. I suppose it has become a bit like the Jewish Shabbat Candle for me – but it’s not just a ritual, it is something that challenges me to think about my faith, look back at the previous week and see how I have been the light – and also where I have failed, and missed God-given opportunities to share the Good News.

santa luciaYesterday was The Feast of Santa Lucia – a very important day in Sweden, where they dress in white and remember this first century saint and martyr. One girt wears a wreath on her head, which supports some candles** [no Scandi Health and Safety  there then!] to represent St Lucy/Lucia

It is said that this young woman went secretly to the Catacombs to take food to the Christians who were hiding there to escape the Roman persecution. In order to free both hands to carry the food, she wore the candles in her headdress, to illuminate her way through the dark caves. [these days, she’d have chosen an LED head-torch!]

As I thought about her bravery, I realised something important-0 she wasn’t just bearing the light, she was also bearing sustenance to those terrified people. ‘Faith without works is dead’ writes James in his epistle. Wearing badges that say ‘Jesus is the Reason for the Season’, insisting on the Royal Mail Christmas Stamps with Mary and baby Jesus on them [not using the ‘novelty ones’ as the Post Office lady calls them], opting for ‘Nativity story’ pictures on the cards, [not Penguins and Santa]…these are all good things – but we are called to do more than that – support a Food Bank, give a little extra to charity, invite someone who is on their own to come to Christmas lunch. You can think of things appropriate to your situation***.

**Fork ‘Andles?” said Bob when I was telling him about the Swedes

***I especially loved the suggestion made on Friday by the Headteacher “If you are on playground duty, give the children an extra 5 minutes outside – they will enjoy it, and your colleagues will appreciate a longer break too!”

10 comments:

  1. So so true!! I've been trying to do a few things that Frugal Queen suggested in her reverse Advent.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great - details here if others of you haven't caught up with this one http://www.frugalqueen.co.uk/2014/12/reverse-advent.html

      Delete
    2. P.S. - your lovely Pause this weekend made me cry!

      Delete
  2. Have you thought that you are bringing sustenance to other Christians by hosted the Advent Blog hop? Well, you are. And thanks for doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- that had not occurred to me. Some of the other posts this weekend have been amazing.

      Delete
  3. And it's in the small things too - spending time talking to people, just doing a little something for somebody, it's all part of the service to which we are called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and helping sort out 70 jacket potatoes [you're pictured in my next post!] ...and providing Bob with inspiration for the mega-cracker...Thanks for all you do in our fellowship Gaz!

      Delete
  4. What a great pause! I like your candle and I've always been fascinated with St. Lucia. You're so great, Angela. You have such a pastoral heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say much the same- you are channelling the true light right here. The true light that gives light to everyone and that is coming into the world right now x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your are lighting your reflections with the love and comfort of the gift from your friend and enjoying the companionship of those around you. This is such a lovely point to ponder on. Giving and Sharing is more than just something we should talk about.

    Thank you so much for hosting these Pause's and sharing your light.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!