Saturday 6 December 2014

Browned Off!

The Pantone Colour Institute have announced their ‘Colour of the Year’ for 2015 – it is “Marsala 18-1438”

pantone 2015 marsala

The colour has been chosen as it will “enrich our mind, body and soul, exuding confidence and stability” according to director Leatrice Eiseman “Much like the fortified wine that gives Marsala its name, this tasteful hue embodies the satisfying richness of a fulfilling meal while it’s grounding red-brown roots emanate a sophisticated, natural earthiness. This hearty, yet stylish tone is universally appealing and translates easily to fashion, beauty, industrial design, home furnishings and interiors.“Eye-catching but not overwhelming” - a reddish-brown that's rich and earthy — and a complete departure from the brightness of past years' picks. It's not quite the burgundy of the 90s, or 1970s brown, but an updated neutral that will translate well to interiors and decor.

pantone 2014

Last year’s bright choice was “Radiant Orchid” – I don’t recall seeing a lot of this, and I didn’t go out and buy anything in this shade.

I can’t see myself taking to ‘Marsala’ – it’s too reminiscent of the hippy student surroundings of my youth. I do have a tablecloth in that shade [from the 70s, it may have been a wedding present] My spare bedroom curtains were that shade once [they have faded over the years] So no, I do not plan to redecorate our new manse in Dorset in this shade – earthiness isn’t quite the image I’m going for!

What do YOU think of Pantone’s choice?

9 comments:

  1. They can call it whatever they like but to me it's still brown and not one of my favourite colours although the trees wear it well with their green jumpers.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very 70s, also looks like coffe grounds /dried blood, not a good colour. Someone has to write up this blurb on colours I suppose - what a job! Vee x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my colour either! Bit too dull for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we removed the wallpaper in our bedroom that's the colour we found underneath. We weren't inspired to keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not in love with Marsala, though as a quilter, I've learned that colors you don't love still come in handy. Also, as someone who buys a lot of fabric, I tend to see these "colors of the year" show up a year or two later in the fabric shops. I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to know that it will enrich the soul, despite its boring colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I quite like a nice warm brown - though this seems a bit understated to be Colour of the Year! (I liked Radiant Orchid too, and happened to be well-stocked with items of that shade, bought a few years before it rose to temporary eminence.)

    On my monitor the Marsala has faint mauve-ish overtones.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!