Saturday 13 February 2016

Wonky Thinking?

They have all been encouraging us to fight food waste, and quite rightly so - Hugh F-W with his mountain of parsnips, Jimmy and Jamie with their 'wonky veg'...and other celeb-chefs like James Martin showing us recipes to help us love our leftovers









And I thoroughly applaud such initiatives. My gardening skills are minimal, and so I do have to buy the majority of my veg - and in this house, being too large, too small or vaguely misshapen is just not an issue. 
So when Asda said they would introduce their 'wonky veg box' I was very interested. It weighs 5kg, costs £3.50 and is being trialled at 128 stores.
Some bloggers have reported an excellent choice of veg and good value for money. Others said "When I got to Asda, they said all the boxes went within 20 minutes, so I did not get one" 
As we were near an Asda on Tuesday, we decided to pop in and see for ourselves.

The helpful guy on the produce section said "Oh we've had them twice now, but there are never very many and they go immediately"
So I asked which day they came into the store. This is where I got confused. He told me
"We never know when they are coming. The people at our packing depot put the wonky veg to one side, and when there's enough, they fill a few boxes and send them over"
Which is not what I'd understood at all, from Jamie's programme. There, the pickers at the farms said they had to sort the veg, and segregate the ones which were not up to standard, and these just went to waste, or landfill, or fertiliser. I thought Asda were going to have a 'second category' for the farmers, and buy their misshaped veg to sell at a lower rate, in mixed boxes. The clear implication of the assistant's words is that the wonky veg are sorted at the packing depot. Presumably these are ones which the farmworkers have already sent through to Asda, but aren't quite up to A1 perfection after all. So are the farmers able to sell the rest of their wonky veg to the supermarket or not?
I have read the statements about the veg boxes and it is not clear just how they get the contents. I think it is rather sad too, that these boxes are being trialled mostly in the affluent South  - but not in the deprived areas of the country
I shall reserve final judgement until I have more facts, and the opportunity to try out one of these boxes for myself. It seems a great idea in principle - but will it work out in practice? Have you enjoyed a curvy courgette, longer leek, or pointy potato from one of these boxes? Did you think it was good value?

10 comments:

  1. We saw Hugh's programme and were so disgusted by Morrison's (our preferred supermarket up until then) treatment of that farming family that we have not shopped there since....I don't suppose it makes a difference to Morrisons but it's our small stand against them. We grow lots of veg and eat it all, wonky or not, there's no difference in taste or goodness, as any sensible person knows. Haven't seen one of the wonky veg boxes, but would have no problem buying one. But it looks like Asda may not be the shining example of goodness they are making themselves out to be, then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a bos being trialled by a reporter and thought that the veg was more close to use by than wonky. The veg were mostly on the large side, the potatoes had machine damage and the leeks were definitely past their best. I am not surprised at your findings, I never expected anything else. I managed to get stir fry veg, broccoli, cauli,carrots, asparagus and tomatoes for £2.10 in Tesco last night. All in perfect condition, enough to share with 2 other singletons to last most of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem that some of the veg may be old and wizened, rather than young and curvy. I myself am now o&w, but would prefer my veg to be y&c!!

      Delete
  3. Well this puts a whole new light on things doesn't it! There is nothing in my area either. However, Morrisons do their own individual bags of Wonky Veg, I've bought Potatoes Parsnips and Carrots and the quality has been very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The veggies I grow in the garden are usually wonky too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too saw this programme last night. I also watched it last year and I see no improvement in the supermarket. Morrisons now sell wonky veg. I feel they are polite wonky not proper wonky like they should be. I wonder if the farmers could get together and sell their own wonky veg. A see a business opportunity for someone.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your definition of 'polite' wonky and 'proper' wonky! Reminds me of "funny ha-ha" and "funny-peculiar"

      Delete
  6. Angela, are there farmers' markets where farmers sell direct to customer? For those who don't garden, they buy direct from the farmer at markets or CSA's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched the programmes and heard how Asda were going to help the farmers by accepting a selling wonky veg.the media coverage was huge. Well I got a box,loved it and when I next went for one they didn't have any. Next time I phoned and spoke to head office and was informed the wonky veg box was a trial a 1 day trial.they don't know if it will continue or if it is going to when it will be in shops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wrote about this on my blog too but unfortunately I haven't been able to get a box yet, I was told they only get 20 boxes at a time and they don't know when they are being delivered. It's a matter of right place, right time.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!