Sunday 8 October 2017

A Cut Above The Rest

This week see the 50th Anniversary of the production of the world's first plastic handled scissors. That might seem a weirdly trivial fact, but to the people of Fiskars in Finland, it is a really big event. As the prototype went into production, the designer specified handles in red, black or green- but the machinist had some orange plastic to use up. A vote was taken in the company - and orange won. The rest is history, as they say.
I have had my original Fiskars since 1969, and I use them for dressmaking. I keep them sharp with a proper Fiskars sharpener.
The Fiskars Ironworks opened in 1649 and has been producing useful items ever since. They are rightly proud of these scissors. They have said that every pair of the classic 21cm design made this year will have a special logo on the blade. I checked this out recently - and found some on sale in Norwich. 
Fiskars have made this brief video clip celebrating their iconic design.
They say that 'a bad workman blames his tools' - I think a good worker values her tools, keeps them well-maintained, and uses them for the right purpose, to good effect. If my scissors are my tools for needlework and craft, then my Bible is my chief tool for life. My verse for the day is 2 Timothy 2;15
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, and who correctly handles the word of truth.

2 comments:

  1. This was v interesting to read. I have a pair of Fiskars dressmaking pinking shears and a Craft embosser board!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!