Thursday 19 October 2017

Life's Too Short...


I am not sure where I read this, but I like it. I know it is important to keep the house clean, and [fairly] tidy. But saints preserve me from becoming like the parent of one of my pupils back in the 1980s. She said to me one afternoon "I cannot go out to work, I would never have time to keep my house properly. I feel bad that I haven't wiped down my skirting boards this month yet"
Her little girl must be in her 30s now. I really hope that her life does not revolve around cleaning. I shall have been really busy this past week, travelling hundreds of miles and [I hope] doing worthwhile things. I hope Bob hasn't been distressed by the undusted dadoes!
Sometimes when I'm conscious that life is really fraught for other people whom I love, or when I just want to connect [see earlier post!] I send flowers. The company I have been using for quite a while now is called Bloom and Wild. They have a wide range of bouquets, and a clever system of wrapping each bloom, and packing in thin boxes which go through a normal sized letterbox. Their flowers are excellent quality, and long lasting. Their prices are good. I can wholeheartedly recommend them. I sent some recently, and they have given me a discount code to share with friends. Passing it on to you if you want to try them [sorry, UK only] Click here

 "Why do you worry...consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin, nor do they wipe down the skirting boards every month. And yet I say unto you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.”

7 comments:

  1. My Mum will be 79 in a couple of weeks, and her life still revolves around cleaning, just as it did when I was a child...and the skirting boards are washed much more frequently than those of the lady you mentioned. When I visit she tells me about all she has done, but it never looks any different, unless she has hauled the furniture around 'for a change'. It is always immaculate with nothing out of place so she cleans for the sake of it. The only evidence she lives there is the book she happens to be reading at the time. Worse still is the fact that she judges others so much, including me and my daughters. I find it sad and infuriating, and the latter emotion is winning at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Angela. I have used your Code to send some flowers to my cousin whose husband died suddenly this time last year. Your post reminded me .Penny Lxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I am ashamed to admit that I rarely even consider my skirting boards, let alone wipe them! A feather duster does just as well...now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think anyone should be ashamed because they do not consider the stateof their skirting boards - especially people who spend their time considering other PEOPLE. Penelope, I'm glad the code was of use, and I am sure your cousin will appreciate the flowers, and the loving thoughts which accompany them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This resonates today. Long and loud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Dad and StepMum seem to spend a ridiculous amount of time doing tidying, gardening etc and he always talks about them being too busy. I sit surrounded by mess and chaos and think I prefer to have a relax and let it all go a bit!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!