Sunday 12 May 2019

Brain Fog

When I was first diagnosed with "Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome", my friend Richard sent me a very helpful little booklet. One section that I found particularly reassuring was the section on "Brain Fog". It basically said that when you get over-tired, your brain stops processing trivial stuff- hence you do daft things. Like; forgetting why you went upstairs, hang the towel on the coat rack and the coat in the bathroom, put milk in your husband's coffee when he has always drunk it black, driving to the church car park when you are meant to be going to Lidl, going out with house keys in one hand and letter in the other, almost posting the keys in the letterbox [fortunately I stopped just in time with that one]
What was so reassuring was that the book said this 'brain fog' is not unusual - and furthermore, it is not permanent, not degenerative and not a sign of imminent dementia. I confess that in January/February I was concerned that I was losing the ability to think properly.
But things are looking up, I am taking my Vitamin D sunshine pills, I am having a Proper Rest most afternoons after lunch - and having told the Agency I am not available for work, I sleep well, and wake naturally [instead of the alarm disturbing my slumbers] The family gave me a Fitbit for my birthday- so I can monitor the exercise and rest I am getting, as well as my weight. [thanks family, I love it]
All very useful - and it is encouraging to see data that proves my sleep patterns are improving considerably - and things are looking brighter by the day.
The GP [and Richard] stressed this is not something that goes away quickly. I have no idea when - if ever - I'll be back in a classroom again. But I am taking each day as it comes. 
I am incredibly grateful to friends and family for their support. People are amazingly kind - including blogfriends I have never met, who've sent messages of support.
Yes I do get it wrong sometimes - Monday and Tuesday I had loads of energy. Then on Wednesday I pushed myself quite hard - and Thursday I was totally exhausted. I am learning to plan my weeks better. If Friday is going to be busy, I keep Thursday and Saturday clear. I say NO more often than ever before, and I am learning not to beat myself up when I forget, or cannot achieve everything.
There's a passage in Mark's Gospel which talks about the disciples being so busy that they didn't even have time to sit down and eat properly. Jesus gently reminds them of the need for rest. Being an old grandma, I originally learned these verses in the King James' Version...
And Jesus said unto them "Come ye  apart into a desert place, and rest a while" for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.
I have always been amused by these verses - the idea that Jesus said 'come apart' - but of course he didn't mean 'disintegrate' - he meant 'come away from the busy-ness'.
We all need to learn the truth that if we don't take time to 'come apart and rest', then we probably will just come apart.
Take a regular Sabbath Rest my friends, and the brain fog will start to clear!




4 comments:

  1. Very sensible.Having a d/i/l who has been through the same, I know that eventually it disappears, with care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God gave us the Sabbath for a reason. CBC quite often beats himself up about sleeping in or needing rest (and I confess I get cross with him frequently when he often falls asleep when he desperately needs to get work done) but I do think the body does tell us that we need more rest. I am glad that you are getting rest and that it is helping. Do take care of yourself and don't push yourself!!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are on the road to recovery. Take care of yourself. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes,echoing everyone else - hope you continue to recover. (Your stories about brain fog are ringing a few bells)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!