Tuesday 7 May 2019

From The Kitchen Cabinet

Back in my childhood, my Mum had one of these "Kitchen Cabinets". Back in those days, I think we had fewer gadgets and things were more compact. 
Now the phrase "Kitchen Cabinet" always makes me think of Jay Rayner's programme which is on Radio 4 each Saturday morning at 10.30.
I really enjoy listening, and have learned lots of interesting things about food history and food preparation. 
If I can, I arrange my morning so that I potter in the kitchen whilst I listen.
Last Saturday was no exception. I did some baking for the week ahead, and for the freezer.
I made a Courgette and Pesto Tarte, I substituted my homemade yogurt for the cream.
I made Sage and Mustard Sausage Rolls using my own home grown sage, and finally rhubarb crumbles, with Cornerstones rhubarb.

The tarte tasted good. Next time I shall make the courgette ribbons thinner so the roses are better submerged in the custard.
Finally, an unexpected bonus. I precooked the rhubarb with some brown sugar - and when I came to prepare the crumble, I drained off quite a lot of syrupy liquid. I don't like my crumble filling to be too sloppy!
I poured it into a fliptop bottle, along with a small can of Schweppes ginger ale which was lurking in the fridge. This made a lovely rhubarb and ginger cordial to enjoy with Sunday lunch.
By the time all this was done, I made some salad to go with some of the sausage rolls for Saturday lunch, and put all the courgette trimmings into the slocooker with a can of chopped tomatoes, some chopped carrot and celery, and a handful of pasta, which made a lovely minestrone soup for later.
And I'd listened to The Kitchen Cabinet, The Week in Westminster, From Our Own Correspondent and the News Quiz. A happy morning pottering in the kitchen with Radio 4 in the background. Delightful!

10 comments:

  1. I love making rhubarb cordial. Rhubarb just doesn't know when to stop producing so it's a great use for the surplus. I don't like ginger so I have mine with sparking water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sparkling water or lemonade would both be good

      Delete
  2. I love this type of post-homely and full of lovely food ideas!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a very good morning in the kitchen. I also listen to R4 on a Saturday morning but I just wish Mr Raynor would cut his hair!(not that I can see him on the radio but I can see him in my head!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I think he's getting more like his late Mum, Claire, as he gets older (thus disproving Oscar Wilde's theory)

      Delete
  4. You had a very productive morning in the kitchen! I like that kitchen cabinet and I think I saw some pea shoots in your salad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A LONG time ago , I had a cabinet like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mum had one of those not that long ago. An elderly friend had moved out and passed it on. She loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!