Friday 10 May 2019

Page Turners

In my post about Peckover House I mentioned the amazing papercrafted creations in the Library. Here's a quick review of three books I borrowed from Dereham Library whilst we were in Norfolk [and that was before I went to Wisbech]
First up, Clare Youngs' superb Papercrafting In No Time. I will read anything  she writes- because her books are always beautifully illustrated, with clear instructions - and eminently readable. She is a gifted craftswoman, and this book is full of inspiration and ideas. I particularly liked her clothespeg princesses.
I found online a website showing all  the projects in the book. [PINT images here]  
There just isn't enough time to make them all...
<
Sweet Paper Crafts by American author Mollie Greene caught my eye because I liked the little bird perching on the front cover.
This one has just 25 projects [CY's has 50] and they are very varied, from simple garlands to complex creations.
I did like the 'ship parcel topper' - but I wonder if the gift recipient would recognise all the work that had gone into making it, in their hurry to open the parcel. Good illustrations, clear instructions. Again I'd say *****
My third book, Makery by Kate Smith was a little bit disappointing. Kate Smith runs Makery Emporium in Bristol, and her stuff has been in Mollie Makes magazine I think.
This one is a mixture of various crafts - nothing wrong in that. I began reading and decided that there was nothing particularly new - and maybe this would be a good gift for a novice crafter - maybe one of my teenage friends who is 'just getting into makery'. 

However I found the instructions were unclear and occasionally had errors [I notice that other reviewers have bemoaned the lack of 'proper editing' too, and faults on the pattern sheet]
So maybe a novice would really struggle.
The pictures were pretty - but "decorated tags" are something most papercrafters start with.
I suspect I was predisposed against the book as the cover says 'pullout patterns included' and inside on the library ticket it said PATTERNS MISSING.  Verdict - good variety, nice pictures- but not as good as I had hoped, and badly proof-read - so just ***
I have recently earmarked a couple of old books - both beyond 'normal' use, for recycling into papercrafts - French and English dictionaries. The latter has quite fragile paper, which splits when folded, but works fine for backgrounds. I've been playing around too with Waitrose magazines [they use paper which is lovely for Origami] and making some boats for use with the children in church.
Do you do origami or papercrafts? 
and what materials do you use?
Have you found any good books which inspire projects?

4 comments:

  1. Worth saving old map books for

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have an out of date London A-Z somewhere. That would be good for such projects, the paper is fairly good quality. Thanks for that suggestion!

      Delete
  2. It's interesting you asked about origami as I happened to notice some of the y6 girls with the art therapy lady at lunchtime and they were making origami puppets on straws, like for shadow puppets I expect. They looked so nice! I was so impressed! Shame about the third book but great that you enjoyed two of them. I've got an old road atlas I have been cutting up for things!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried book folding, a couple of years ago. I only made a Christmas tree, but it was fun! I found an online tutorial for that and a bird cage. I haven't made the bird cage, yet.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!