Sunday 5 July 2020

I'm Away From Here, With A Gondolier...

The BBC Sunday Worship programme last week was brilliant. It was led by John Bell of the Iona Community [learn more here] One of the hymns was based on the Magnificat, and set to an old Irish folk tune. Called "Canticle of the Turning" I was really taken with the words of the verses. Themes of justice and righteousness, and downfall of the rich and the uplifting of the poor. But as I listened on my kitchen radio, I could not make sense at all of one line of the chorus. Where did the Gondolier come from? And why would I want to leave with him? A true Mondegreen But I tracked down a YouTube version with lyrics and all became clearer. I've told our re:vive worship band about it and suggested they consider adding it to their repertoire. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do [with the correct words, naturally] 

1 comment:

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!