Monday 9 January 2023

Christmas Trimmings

The Christmas Cake was all eaten up - and the manger, the angel, the candle and the greeting were left forlornly on the glass cake stand with a few crumbs of cake and odd lumps of icing. Bob, being helpful, decided to wash everything up. He has been brilliant over the holidays - especially with all the visitors, and done sterling work in the kitchen. And I acknowledge that what happened was entirely my fault. Last year, when we had a lot of figures on the cake, I washed the icing off their bases, and discovered that Pauline's angel was made of sugar, not resin. But I had forgotten to do anything about it.
So yet again, my URC Angel had a Baptist Total Immersion experience! even more of her silver washed away and her crisp wing edges were slightly more curvy.
I have sorted her out now. I redrew her eyelashes and lips with fine gel pens, and touched up the gold line on her sleeves. And I repainted the the silver 'surplice' and her halo with glittery nail varnish. Then covered the lots with glossy 'top coat' nail varnish.I hope this keeps her in better condition for next year.

The other major task 'before we pack everything away' was fixing Mary's shoulders. Last year, she was sitting at a slight angle. This year she faced straight out - and I really wasn't happy with her rather broad shoulders. So Bob has trimmed each side, so next year she will have a softer frame.
I have kept back a Christmas Bag for life, and over the past week have found a number of Christmas items which didn't get put away after the clear up last weekend [two hand towels, a Snowman plate, 2 hanging decorations etc]. I think I've found everything now so all is bagged and packed!
Bob has yet to go outside and get down the icicle lights festooning the Lath Palace- although we've switched off the timer, so they are not coming on in the evenings any more.
ps SueJay, I have not heard from you re the Giveaway Prize, please can you email me with your address ? [Apologies if you have already done so and it's got lost in the ether]





20 comments:

  1. Maybe the angel enjoyed her baptism and subsequent makeover? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly has a wide smile now! ☺️

      Delete
    2. So the angel had another narrow escape, like a cat with nine lives!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see that the sugar angel has been restored! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good repair job and she looks ready for December. I have never, ever managed to put away all the christmas decorations without finding something still around the house. This year it was a handmade peg star that was on the inner front door handle. Now safely put with the other bits and bobs in the craft room wardrobe. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is looking pretty after her trip to the spa. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a characteristically positive spin on the situation HNY to you two too!

      Delete
  5. Awww, nice to see you restored the angel to former 'glory' !
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, it's a good job Bob didn't just leave her soaking in hot soapy water!!
    There's nearly always something that gets left out when we put decorations away isn't there ... I haven't found my 'thing' yet, hopefully I managed to get everything for the first time ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again you did an excellent "fix" job! I use nail polish to embellish the cards I send. It's so useful. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you hadn’t said, you wouldn’t know the angel had been slightly dissolved in dishwater, that’s great restoration work! Now if it had gone in a dishwasher…..😩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That definitely would have been the end of her

      Delete
  9. Well, at least Bob didn't eat her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might have done if he'd known she was sugar!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!