Saturday 21 January 2023

Flower Power

In my student days, "flower power" was a popular theme. The American beat poet Alan Ginsberg coined the phrase, to re[resent a way of transforming anti-war protests [esp. re Vietnam] into peaceful affirmative spectacles. Later on it became a generalised term - for hippies, and the counter-culture of psychedelic drugs, and social permissiveness. 

This was the time when Kaffe Fassett was growing up in California and this is reflected in his bright, colourful artwork. [which reminds me, I have yet to sort my photos and post about my trip to his exhibition last week] I certainly did not do the drugs, or permissive hippie lifestyle. But I was definitely anti-war and keen on flowers! I wore floaty floral frocks, and pinned flowers in my hair as I swanned around campus. Blu-tac was new on the market, and we stuck posters on our walls [often bought from Athena] One popular poster was a version of this 
But is this a wise proverb? and is it still relevant today?
I always had my doubts about it. I understood the principle....however... We should not 'live by bread alone' - life has a spiritual dimension too[ see Matthew 4;4]
 And it is important to appreciate the beauty around us, to stop and smell the roses etc.
But for many people there are other questions to be answered
  • if I have two pennies today, should I spend one on bread, and keep the other in case I cannot buy bread tomorrow?
  • if I have two pennies should I spend one on food for my family, and the other on fuel? and will 1p buy enough bread, anyway. Heating or eating?
  • if I have the luxury of two pennies, should I be sharing my blessings with those who do not even have one?
  • and whilst the loaf will give me energy and health, and keep me alive, how long will the flowers last? 
January is traditionally the month of New Year Resolutions, New Habits, Losing Weight, Getting Fit, Saving Money... aiming to be a better person than one was last year.
Lots of bloggers are talking about the changes they are implementing. I am not knocking them at all - and I admire their honesty in sharing their endeavours. I think Carolyn is utterly brilliant in the way she has taken on a huge challenge this year - do check her blog sometime.
But I haven't felt any desire personally to take on any NYR just yet.
  • I would like to lose weight - but I am going to eat up the Christmas Hamper goodies first
  • I would like like to up my fitness levels- the arrival of the new boots should help with that [but I am being careful about frozen, slippery paths]
  • I would like to do some volunteering in the community - but the application which went in weeks ago is still being processed [exceedingly slowly]
  • I would like to redecorate the dining area and the hallway - but that is waiting for a week when Bob is less busy [with his Parish Councillor responsibilities etc] so we can work on it together.
And when the decorating is done, I am considering adding a new piece of artwork. Which brings me full circle to the Chinese proverb - and to Gill's comment on yesterday's post . "Love the bird, don't love the price though!" How much are we prepared to pay for art, for luxury, for the things which ultimately are non-essentials? 
I've watched the recent programme about the redevelopment of Claridges Hotel in London. Mainly because I am interested in the actual construction techniques [mining five new subterranean levels underneath and adding yet more storeys on the roof]  but I find the wealth of the clients utterly obscene. Who pays £100K for a night in the new penthouse suite? It would cost the pair of us £1400+ to stay just for tonight in an 'ordinary' room!
I do not have a consistent or coherent answer to the 'can I buy some art?' question. Yes the bird is 'just' 5 pieces of recycled cutlery - but on the other hand, it represents hours of skilled craftwork, and if it is how the creator makes their living, then maybe £65 is not an excessive cost. 
Somebody, back in 1953, paid a lot of money for that Wedgwood Coronation Mug. Did it bring them 70 years of joy? Or was it just put in a china cabinet with other 'treasures'? I am determined that this year I will be more mindful of my possessions, and continue to pass on the items which I do not need, and no longer have a space where they can be appreciated. The mug only cost me £3 and I will use it. 
And after last year's foray into learning to grow vegetables, I shall try and grow more flowers this year. Thank you to those kind people who gave me seeds & Garden Tokens for Christmas [I can spend both my pennies on bread therefore!]



14 comments:

  1. Probably neither here nor there, but, I always knew that quote as "if your fortunes have dwindled and all you have left are two loaves of bread, sell one and buy hyacinths to feed your soul" and I understood it to mean that one must nourish ones spiritual self as well as the physical one.

    As for me, if I had two pennies to spend, I'd probably spend one and save the other for the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother always said I was 'penny wise and pound foolish' so I would probably save both pennies and take out a bank loan to buy croissants and roses....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lilies, lilies, hyacinths, now roses ... Not sure if this is a florists shop or that lovely painting by John Singer Sargent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or "If you have two pennies, buy a bag of flour and then buy a packet of perennial flower seeds so you will have bread and flowers for many days!" lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Terri - thinking about the future. You're definitely the wise woman of Proverbs 31!

      Delete
  5. Well I certainly would n‘t buy lilies as they make me sneeze and wheeze. We have quite a few pieces of art works from various small makers. I don’t mind paying a reasonable price for something well made that appeals to us both as we know the time, effort and cost of materials that will have gone into its creation. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Catriona, I too would rather have something small, supporting a local artist, made with care, than a cheap reproduction.

      Delete
  6. Wise words and a good post!
    When I heard that quote decades ago, the flower was a hyacinth that would feed your soul!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the hyacinth version was more popular "across the pond"

      Delete
  7. I like the idea of buying the bread and the lily, but my reaction was that it would be good to buy 2 loaves of bread and give one to someone who needed one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a lot to think about here. Not sure what I'd do with the pennies. I remember those hippie days but I wasn't much into it. I do remember Athena though I'd forgotten all about it! As for the hotel prices, I like to think that even if I had that kind of money I would spend it wisely by funding charities instead. Something I'll never know!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!