Monday 29 January 2024

Don't Waste Our Time!

 
For 50 years, clocks were manufactured at the Metamec Factory in Dereham. The company began in 1941 as an offshoot of the Jentique Furniture Company. Jentiques had been started between the wars by a former toymaker, and produced quality wooden furniture. During the war, the company made wooden boxes to hold bombs, and instruments [I presume that is related to defence, not trombones!] In 1941 they started making clocks - and the company name is a contraction of METAlwork and MEChanics. But in the 60's and 70's I had many schoolfriends whose parents worked at Metamec. The factory employed 750 people, and was churning out 25,000 clocks a week - the biggest manufacturer of clocks in the UK.And almost everyone I knew had one of their kitchen clocks, or sunburst clocks on the lounge wall, or a wooden clock on the mantlepiece, or alarm clock in the bedroom. 
The company was producing clocks until 1994 when it finally closed. Imports from Germany and the Far East had taken over the market. So I was very interested to discover there was to be an exhibition about the company in our local Library during January. Bob and I went down and met Richard Walker, who had worked there for 25 years - 1969-1994. 
Richard [78] has collected many examples of Metamec clocks over the years and kept them in his home - but on the 30th anniversary of the company closure, he set up a display in the library.
He'd obtained a number of photos of the factory, and when we went, he was happily explaining them to the visitors
He said they had not given him sufficient room to display his whole collection!
He was collecting signatures- he is making a case to the local council for proper recognition of Dereham's manufacturing heritage.
I called in on Friday, just before his exhibition ended, and asked how he was doing. Just over 400 signatures, he said. I got into conversation with a lady whose Mum had worked for the company, and persuaded her to sign his clipboard!
The sunburst clock in the top left of this picture is identical to the one which Dereham Baptist Church gave my parents for their 25th wedding anniversary. Mum loved it. When my Dad died, I gave it to his brother and sister-in-law in Yorkshire. I visited Auntie Mollie some years later, and it still had pride of place in her lounge.
I do hope the council takes notice of Richard's request. It would be such a shame if a significant piece of the town's history was forgotten. It would be good if these timepieces were preserved for future generations.
Have you heard of Metamec Clocks?
Did you ever own one?




24 comments:

  1. It would be a shame to lose what is history. I have a 'Grandmother' clock that strikes each quarter hour! We don't keep it wound up otherwise we'd never sleep because we'd be able to hear it in our bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a neighbour who collected chiming clocks. If I needed to call round, I tried to go at five minutes past the hour - earlier one was deafened!

      Delete
  2. How interesting that someone collected all those clocks! I don't think I've heard of Metamec Clocks (I don't remember what brand of clocks my parents had in the house) and have never owned one. I like those sunburst ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very English company, although Richard said they did export worldwide (exPats in Australia liked them)

      Delete
  3. What attractive clocks! It's a shame how much of our heritage has gone because of cheap imports. This sounds a lovely exhibition and well done to him for trying to preserve that heritage! I hope he succeeds. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of them, but I am impressed by Richard's determination not to let them be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela what an interesting exhibition. I would sign the petition if I was there. It is funny that those starbursts clocks are worldwide - my Gran had one, although not sure if a Metamec one. When both sides of family came over to Canada from Wales & England, I don't think they came with much. It's funny how today's children cannot read a clock other than digital & everyone relies on their phones to get them up in the morning (or not). I am teaching all my nieces & nephews the amazing skill of how to read a "real clock" as I kept my Gran's mantle clock (lol). ... Mary-Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not be surprised to find your family starburst clocks came from Metamec. And I agree, everything is digital now [Happy to report that my new car offers me the option of a 'clock with hands' when I switch the engine on!

      Delete
  6. Way back in the sixties, I had a Saturday/summer holiday job in a jewellers shop in Weymouth. We sold Metamec clocks. What a blast from the past your post was. It would be lovely to have museum space for the collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so lovely to read! I saw one in a charity shop in Dorset and was told it was not for sale, it was part of the decor

      Delete
  7. My dad had a Metamec 'sunburst/starburst' wall clock which he bought in the mid to late 60s.
    When dad died, mum kept the clock for a few years, but she'd always disliked it, so eventually it went off to a charity shop.
    That may have been a mistake, as I've seen several in recent years, in 'antique' shops, for hundreds of pounds, and at present there is one for sale on Etsy for £350!!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🕗 good gracious! 🌞

      Delete
    2. It was me, Col, who got rid of dad's clock to a charity shop! I have no idea why I've showed up as Anonymous! X

      Delete
    3. Oh Col - never mind. I'm sure both your parents would be glad that a charity benefitted. And as Bob frequently reminds me "we cannot hang on to everything"

      Delete
  8. We had Timex in Dundee so that’s where our clocks and watches came from. It closed in 1993 in very acrimonious circumstances after a prolonged strike. We were given one of those sunburst clocks as a wedding gift in 1971 and it went to a charity shop years ago. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Timex did better with their advertising (ticky-tick-Timex) but they closed the year before Metamec. Dundee is certainly a industrious city (jute, jam, journalism etc)

      Delete
  9. It's no surprise that I've never heard of these clocks since I live so far away. Hope Richard's fondest wishes will come true so there is a proper museum to house his marvelous collection, sories, and clockes when he's gone.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so important to recognize the contribution made by these manufacturers of real analogue clocks! I hope that a place may be found to display them permanently. We are fortunate in that there is a Canadian Clock museum that hosts a collection of many of the clocks made in Canada. People come from all over to visit it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds a great place to spend some time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm late to this but love all things clocky.
    My brother in law worked in the Timex factory for a while and my first watch was a timex, never heard of Metamec but certainly recognise the Sunburst style clock.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!