Wednesday 10 January 2024

Staying, And Going, At Christmas

Lots of magazines have a regular feature with titles like "What's Hot, What's Not" and "This Week Going Up, and Coming Down"  listing popular trends and products. Here are four items that appeared at Cornerstones between the end of November and the beginning of December. Two will be staying, one definitely not returning, and the fourth is more complicated.
That strange pink silicon star, a 'flat gift' from Kirsten. Cleaning out plugholes is a gross job which I dislike - whether food in the kitchen sink, or hairs in the shower tray. Having had houseguests over Christmas, so more shower use, I can say this has made the whole task so much easier. Thanks K!  

My wonderful little mitten tongs. About 4½" ;ong, with silicon ends. I got them for £1.99 in Lidl. I thought they'd be good for serving finger foods. They have proved incredibly useful for all sorts of foodstuffs, the children loved them - and we have kept them with our regular tongs, on the hook over the hob. I can see them being used all year round. So hand-y! staying
On the other hand, I was a little disappointed with my JusRol croissants. 25 years ago, we used to buy this cardboard tubes of pastry and make croissants or pain au chocolat for Sunday breakfast. Nowadays I keep Aldi frozen ones in the freezer. But I saw these, and thought back to those happy times in the kitchen with the girls, rolling up the pastry. And they were on offer...I have to say we were singularly disappointed with them. None of the buttery flakiness of our current pastries. 
going
The final item on the list is a little bit sad. Steph generously bought both Bob and Jon a hamper of cheeses from her local Cheesemongers shop. A lovely idea - and there was a good selection of fromage. She wrapped the boxes in Christmas paper, and brought them across to Norfolk. Now this ticks many boxes - I don't like cheese, so that is definitely Bobs gift to enjoy, a gift to be consumed is better than another item to take up space in our home, and finally, supporting small local businesses is a good thing all round.
BUT the award winning Chorlton Cheesemongers partners with an award winning Manchester Cheesemaker called Mrs Kirkham to be her main stockist. Sadly during Christmas week, it was necessary for some of Mrs K's cheese to be recalled as there was an outbreak of e-coli, and sadly someone died. There was a block of Mrs K's cheese in Bob's hamper. 
Bob was all for eating it anyway [he hates food waste] - but we refused to let him even nibble the dodgy cheese. It went into the bin. The remaining cheeses were greatly enjoyed.
The consensus was that although we were entitled to return the cheese to the shop for a refund, we were not going to bother. The shop, and Mrs K have clearly been distressed by this whole business, and done their very best to put things right. The cost of one little block of cheese is not much of a loss to one customer - but the potential loss of many customers can seriously affect the future of two small business and the livelihoods of their staff. [older readers may remember the food poisoning incident in The Archers, BBC, August 2011!]
So yes, the iffy cheese has definitely gone but Steph intends to keep patronising the CC, and Bob wants to visit next time we are in Manchester.
Have there been any Christmas delights which will be staying on in 2024 for you?
Or Christmas disasters you would prefer not to repeat?

18 comments:

  1. Glad the starfish did its job. What a pity about the cheese.
    We both those croissants in a tube and like you were not impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have one of those dissels for the shower and it’s so much easier to clean out hair-euch! My 1500 piece Klimt jigsaw may be leaving the house never having been finished-it’s just not a pleasure to do. It was so sad to hear about the cheese-we had a similar incident in Lanarkshire a few years ago with blue cheese. We’ve just had a delivery of a band saw for the Shed delivered at 8 15 am this morning and that will be leaving the house tomorrow! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like jigsaws. . Bob prefers bandsaws.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen those plug hole things and thought they looked nifty. I might buy some as stocking stuffings for my daughter and daughter-in-law who both have long hair for Christmas 2024. In fact going to add a couple to my Amazon basket!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure why my comments are suddenly appearing as 'anonymous' but it's me, Anne@BetweenYouandMe!Thank goodness you binned that cheese. Serious matter releasing contaminated cheese.My Christmas delights covered in chocolate have all gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne-onymous! I confess to hiding some of my Christmas Chocolate until after the family had left. I am rationing it - should keep us going a few weeks [maybe longer if I can hide it successfully]

      Delete
  6. Like you we had some Mrs Kirkham’s cheese as a Christmas treat. The problem sounded so serious we thought we ought to throw away all the other cheese which had been on the same cheeseboard. Such a waste. We drew the line at throwing away the fridge it had been stored in though. Nicky K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a shame, Nicky. At least Bob and Jon had hampers in which all the cheeses were individually wrapped, so the dodgy one was thrown away unopened

      Delete
  7. Cute mitten tongs! I should get one of those drain covers for the shower! Yes, good idea to get rid of the possibly contaminated cheese!
    I'm keeping all the gifts I received, although I shared some of them with my daughter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shame about the cheese. I do feel sorry for the people who were really ill

      Delete
  8. How scary to have a recall on the cheese. That was kind of you not to take it for a refund. These things happen and it must be a nightmare for the store owner. We have almost finished the vast amount of chocolate treats we seemed to have had in the house over Christmas. We did share some with the family. I discovered an unopened box of luxury truffles and we have had one a day, but today I noticed an uneven number in the box, which started out with 12. I wonder how that happened? I have my suspicions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very tempting when there is an opened box of chocolates...

      Delete
  9. We still have loads of school Choccie gifts in the house, CBC is making a massive dent in the Ferrer Rocher but I'm hiding my After Eights and M&S Swiss collection as he just gorges on them and doesn't savour and revere them in a suitably appreciative manner 😁.
    I'm giving the Milk Tray to Lara as I always give her some of my school choccies!
    The drain thing is a great idea. Our showers have an intergrated system for dealing with hair which I empty weekly. I only wash my hair once a week and it moults like anything but it is always full of CBC's hair as I get all the disgusting jobs like emptying the compost etc.
    Such a shame about the cheese. I wouldn't have taken it back either but I'd also have been tormented by throwing it out.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are both greatly amused by the "savour and revere" comment. Our Ferrero Rocher box had an odd number of chocolates and we did some careful negotiations about who would have the odd one.

      Delete
  10. We are fans of Picard frozen croissants.
    We buy them at the Picard chain of shops in France (a kind of Waitrose equivalent of Iceland) but they are available as part of a small selection of Picard products from Ocado. Highly recommended. They are not huge either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should love to get Picard products from Ocado. But sadly Ocado doesn't cover our village!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!