Thursday 25 January 2024

The Milk Of Human Kindness - A Yogurt Tutorial

Lady Macbeth uses this phrase - concerned that her husband's compassion will get in the way of her ruthless plans for his future kingship. Milk is an important part of our diet - certainly at birth, and "mother's milk" is a term meaning something very necessary for life. As we grow older, things change - many nations drink a lot of cow's milk. In Finland the average is 2 pints per day, in the UK just over a pint. But in some countries there is widespread lactose intolerance [e.g. Yemen and South Korea] and some religious groups have rules about milk [Jews do not eat meat and milk together, or cook meat in milk]
Before the advent of fridges, people were concerned to ensure their milk was fit to drink - hence the development of things like kefir and yogurt- both fermented products, and clotted cream, which is heat treated, and can last up to 14 days. 
I like yogurt, and for years have been making my own. Anne asked for a tutorial. I use an electric yogurt maker like this. Sadly they are no longer made!
The basic principle of home made yogurt is this - take a pint of milk, warm it to 'blood heat' , stir in a tablespoon full of natural yogurt, and leave in a warm place overnight.  And in the morning, voila! yogurt.
You can use an electric model - they use less energy than leaving a light on overnight - or simply put the warmed milk into an insulated flask [this Kilner system is good]  Here is a simple recipe from Tesco
Over the years I have modified my system
  • I use UHT milk - because that way I can make it as and when I need it, without using up our 'everyday' milk from the fridge
  • I add a heaped tablespoon of dried milk powder to give a richer yogurt
  • I've discovered that using whole UHT milk gives a really lovely creamy texture, more like Greek yogurt
  • Once made I use the yogurt as is - perhaps adding fruit, nuts, a spoonful of honey/maple syrup/jam as a sweeter.
  • If I am almost at the end of a jar of jam, I will mix it in with a stick blender to make pink yogurt!
  • I use it as a topping for desserts in place of cream or custard [sometimes sweetening with a teaspoon of icing sugar]
  • I use it in recipes, often in place of buttermilk, eg in scones or soda bread - or spoon a little on top of a bowl of thick soup.
  • I blend yogurt into smoothies and milk shakes [and this summer I plan to make frozen yogurt ice creams as an alternative to shop-bought UPF ices]
  • Strained [through coffee filter, kitchen paper or muslin cloth] it makes a soft cheese, lovely with a little salt and chopped fresh herbs. Keep the whey and use in scones, or as stock in soup.
  • Make a pancake batter with eggs, yogurt and a banana.
DO keep everything spotlessly clean, or the yogurt will spoil quickly.
DO remember to keep back a spoonful to start your next batch
IF it starts to taste acidic, then buy a small pot of yogurt and use that as a fresh 'starter'
QUICK IDEAS
layer up granola, yogurt and fruit in sundae dishes for a quick dessert
add chopped cucumber and mint to yogurt for raita to serve with curry
mix yogurt 50/50 with mayo for a lighter coleslaw dressing, or for Coronation Chicken
In my teens, I was staying overnight with a friend. She said yogurt was supposed to make a good facemask for purifying the complexion. We bought a pot from the co-op. At 9.30pm [after her brother had gone to bed] we smeared it on, and left it to dry, then around midnight, sleepily rinsed it off and went to bed. We awoke with smelly yellow streaks on our necks and ears. Since then I have eaten yogurt but not used it as a cosmetic!
Liz had this lovely book for Christmas and she has sent me Olia's recipe for drop scones, which uses kefir [usual method]
  • 150ml kefir
  • 1 egg
  • 100gm flour
  • ½tsp baking powder
Do you make your own yogurt?
Do you have a favourite recipe which uses yogurt?



35 comments:

  1. I used to have a yogurt maker but my Instapot has a yoghurt setting so I now use that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's useful - and reduces the number of gadgets I the kitchen

      Delete
  2. No, I rarely eat it. CBC likes it and sometimes buys a pot pf Yeo Valley Summer fruits but I didn't like it at all as a child. As an adult, I've got used to eating it but I just don't seem to buy it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a bit Marmite - love it or hate it

      Delete
  3. I use a wide necked thermos flask; while I'm heating the milk (in a jug in the microwave!) I scald the inside of the flask and the lid with boiling water. Once the flask has cooled a little and the milk is the right temperature I put a generous spoon of yogurt in the flask and add milk slowly stirring all the time. Seal flask, and 24 hours later - yogurt! I agree, whole milk, and adding dried milk give a lovely richness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my electric one fails, I'll go back to the thermos method

      Delete
  4. I make yogurt from time to time, though not all the time. I don't have a yogurt machine. I just boil my milk, let it cool a bit, add a spoon of old yogurt as my starter, and leave it in a warm place (a pre-heated oven, turned off), overnight. I usually eat it with palm treacle, as a dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never had palm treacle. It sounds lovely

      Delete
  5. I use a thermos flask too, and my little finger as my thermometer, the airing cupboard and my secret ingredient is whole raw (unpasteurised) milk bought from the farm in reuseable litre glass bottles which I had to invest in. Just one drawback, this farm is not Organic. There is an organic dairy farm in our neck of the woods but ALL their milk is bought by McDonald’s via Arla for lattes and milkshakes. Is that called green washing? I enjoy your foodie posts Angela, and had a tot up of my food the other day and had reached 30 by lunchtime. It was homemade ribollita soup for lunch though! One more snippet, as I know you appreciate recycling, and that is I went to see Rusulka, Dvorak’s opera, live streamed from the Royal Opera House last night and all the sets and costumes had been recycled from other productions. When the ROH starts being sustainable and mindful you know we are winning. Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for a long and varied comment. Esp the bit about ROH recycling!!?

      Delete
    2. How lovely! I love Rusalka! I played flute for it once! I'd love to see a production of it!

      Delete
    3. Sarah, Kezzie I know nothing about this opera! I do like Dvorak though. Must check it out

      Delete
    4. Hello Angela and Kezzie! How wonderful that you played for Rusalka. It was a beautiful production.
      I went with an open mind, having not even known that Dvorak composed opera, and was entranced. The story comes from Czech fables and could possibly make an interesting topic for children learning about our planet. This production certainly had an eco-conscious current and I loved the costumes which were intrinsic to the story. (Think of a robe designed to look and move like water.) Angela, you probably know “Song to the Moon” which was sung beautifully in this production by Asmik Gregorian who played Rusalka. There was an almost full moon as I drove home from Petworth to my dark skies village and I stood by my gate just looking at the cloud-shrouded moon and glimpses of stars. It was magical. S x

      Delete
  6. I use an insulated flask and have done for years. I use any milk I have but agree that whole milk makes delicious "Greek" style yogurt. We are a family of yogurt eaters. Breakfast most days is yogurt and berries of some sort. I use it in cakes, scones and pancakes. We also love it with grated cucumber and some toasted cumin seeds scattered on top as a dip or curry side dish. I have made frozen yogurt as a summer treat with added pureed fruit which is delicious. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought an 'Easiyo' yogurt maker many years ago, but after the initial packs supplied, have never used the Easiyo mixes.
    It's really just a large Thermos, and I make lovely yogurt at least twice a week! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a work colleague who was an easiyo fan, but like you she didn't use the easiyo mixes after a while.

      Delete
  8. I have made yogurt many times in the crockpot. It's super easy and the resulting yogurt is delicious! I haven't made it since changing my eating habits, but even before that I only made it periodically because no one else in the house likes yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never used my Crockpot, but I can see that would work well

      Delete
  9. I have made yogurt using the thermos method but not for a long time so it was great to get this comprehensive reminder, TQ x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to always use UHT whole milk and a tablespoon of dried milk powder for my homemade yogurt, it makes it really creamy and thick doesn't it. I never tried putting it on my face though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Aww ... that's a lovely thing to say, but for some reason it really made me laugh. Thank you for starting my Friday on a high note. :-)

      Delete
  12. I make yoghurt in the Lakeland device overnight. I love plain greek style yoghurt best and use it instead of cream. It is also useful for cooling down a curry! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catriona, you are truly a woman after my own heart!

      Delete
  13. What is UHT mild??Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - UHT milk is Ultra Heat Treated milk and comes in longlife cartons. You can get full cream, semi skimmed ar fat free versions. It does not taste quite the same as fresh milk, but is fine in recipes - and keeps for ages, so is an emergency standby as well as my go-to for home made yogurt. UHT good, UPF bad!

      Delete
  14. I have liked yogurt all my life, apparently it was a substitute when my Mother couldn’t obtain cream, later when I bought my own home I tried the airing cupboard method, Delia Smith’s method with a kit comprising an insulated tub, glass disc (milk saver) and a thermometer then bought an electric yogurt maker from Lakeland. This was used for many years, usually overnight often up to 12 hours if it wasn’t switched off on awakening, with 1 litre of full cream longlife milk and topped up with fresh milk, boiled to thicken, cooled and mixed with starter from Yeo.
    Eventually the electrics failed, Lakeland had updated their yogurt maker adding unnecessary complicated details to an excellent project. Fortunately I had bought Daughter and Daughter-in-law the original makers some time before so Daughter and I did a swap, hers was unused, I wonder if she has used the new style model.

    I have found it difficult to find organic longlife full cream milk, the organic Moo brand appears to have vanished from our local Waitrose and Sainsbury’s stores, we have organic milk full cream from our traditional milkman so that can be used.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found a second one in a CS so for a while I had one in Dorset AND one at Cornerstones. I gave the Dorset one to a friend when we retired

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a set of several individual pots in a warmer. I donated my original one which was similar and found this one which I prefer. I don't use it all the time. I find evaporated milk watered down works well, as it gives a little flavour of its own. When I buy a 500ml pot of yogurt, I use the whey and the last of the pot in a pancake recipe which calls for about 1/4 cup of yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never tried using evap but I think I will now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Replies
    1. Now all the birthday events have finished, you can make yogurt!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!