Wednesday 6 March 2024

One Pound Of Flesh?

I read Sue's blog on Friday morning and realised that one of the books she'd mentioned was on Steph's kitchen shelf. So I asked S if I could borrow it for a bit. It's an interesting book. The recipes are all main courses, no starters or puds. Which is good, as I'm currently trying to eat less sugar. And each serves just one person.
This strikes me as a good approach - if you are eating alone, you may not want to keep cooking four-portion meals. Not all recipes portion-and-freeze well. So you'd have the same thing every evening Monday-Thursday. Miguel wanted variety, in a way that was simple, straightforward and not wasteful - and economical. 
The book came out in 2017. I haven't done costings, but maybe they cost a bit more than £1 now, but the principle holds true. Miguel is committed to working from a core group of ingredients and cooking from scratch [no UPF jars of pre-made sauces] There are four sections - vegetarian, meat, fish&seafood, and chicken. 
Yes I know chicken is meat, but it sort of makes sense to have its own category.
I think it is a well planned book, and would be brilliant for a young person just starting out cooking for themselves [recipes require minimal equipment] or busy working people who want
 a decent meal in the evening but don't want to rely on ready meals or takeaways - and older people living alone who enjoy cooking and maybe want some fresh ideas. The meals work well together - if a recipe needs half a pepper, you can find another to use up the second half later in the week.
And here's the good bit - you can easily multiply up for a number of guests. Most recipe books are for 4 people or more, and the solitary diner has to divide ingredients down [one quarter of an egg, anybody?] But these recipes serve one, and increasing the ingredients list is easy. 
I've yet to try any of the recipes, but I have certainly enjoyed reading through the book. **** The recipes are inexpensive, but do not look cheap - and they do look very tasty!
[Maybe after I've cooked from it, I'll up my rating to 5*]
UPDATE recipes pictured from top to bottom
Roast chicken balloting with potatoes [cover pic] 
Cabbage and bacon conchiglioni
Thai crab cakes and bisque
Huevos con con chorizo
Toad in the hole

23 comments:

  1. This might be good for my mum in law who struggles cooking for one.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are over 80 varied recipes to choose from

      Delete
  2. I really like that book because, as you know, I live alone. Most of his books are recipes for one and when his "Storecupboard one pound meals" came out it was thoroughy slated for being meals for four. The one you've got is my favourite of his.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. Perhaps an example title of one or two of the dishes would be helpful.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Borrow it from your library - it's an interesting read

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed looking through it. I am pondering the idea of cooking at least one recipe from each of his books as I re-read them over the next few months. I have done a few of his recipes before and they have always turned out perfectly, so he obviously works at putting the recipes to the test before publication.

    As you say having recipes that are actually designed for one is a unique and very helpful way of doing it, alongside the re-use of all the ingredients in many of the recipes, so no money wasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your review - timed perfectly for me, as I could borrow Steph's copy [I noticed another of his books in our library yesterday...will save that for another time] Good to know the recipes you have tested work so well.

      Delete
  6. I've just had a huge clear out of loads of cook books, this being amongst them!
    I've finally admitted that this bungalow is so much smaller than our house, and that a load of infrequently used books had to go, as we were disappearing under the weight of them!
    So, as I'm too lazy to be bothered using any of the book buying companies, and our Daughter in Law has virtually no interest in cooking, the charity shops around here did very well.
    Five large black bags of books have now left the house! Well, fifteen black bags were used as we triple bagged them all due to the weight!
    I had six of the Miguel Barclay books, One Pound Meals, Store-cupboard OPM, Vegan OPM, Meat Free OPM, Super Easy OPM, Fast & Fresh OPM. They're very good, and interesting books, and I made a few meals from them, but to be honest, I buy cookbooks as reading material, and very rarely actually cook from them!
    Our son is also very happy, as he's taken all my Nigel Slater books, which I shall borrow back as and when needed!
    I've still got way over a hundred cookbooks, and a space on the shelves to put more new books! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep trying to reduce my book collection [downsizing house to bungalow has proved a challenge for us too] Our lovely vicar is having a BookSale at the Parish Church in May, so now I have a shelf on which I'm putting "books-to-go" for her. We will be on holiday so I will miss the sale, probably a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband turns very pale when I walk into either a bookshop, or a kitchen wares shop, and he gets positively twitchy if I walk into a Lakeland store!
    We'll be on holiday in May too, not far from Dundee, and I'm going to be very careful whilst crossing roads, I value my teeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh enjoy Dundee- (I won't say enjoy your trip!) I enjoy looking round kitchen shops - but have to constantly remind myself that space is at a premium

      Delete
  9. We, too, have too many books, most of which we've not looked at for decades. We need to donate or sell many of them. Oh, for the energy.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to have a huge collection of beautiful cookery books and no time to cook. I now have a few recipe books and use them for special dishes. For everyday cooking I tend to make it up to suit what’s available/in season. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The majority of cookbooks only have a few recipes worth keeping - I continue to prune my collection. I may copy a few from this book, but not sure I need my own copy

      Delete
  11. That does look like a useful book, especially as it is easier to increase rather than decrease a recipe. It isn't in our libraries, but I may take a look to see if there is anything similar written for the cooks this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a useful cook book for someone cooking only for themselves. I used to have a cookbook titled Meals for One or Two. But, I donated it. I like to cook, but, not every day, so, I tend to cook a larger portion and then, eat that for several meals. I haven't had many complaints, yet! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading your posts about traditional Sri Lankan dishes. I think I must look out for a SL cookbook in the library

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!