Thursday 7 March 2024

Room 101

Today Bob and I will be meeting up with some other retired Baptist Revs and their spouses. Many of us have been friends for years - others are newer to the group. But we usually have some activity [a discussion, visiting speaker, whatever] before we eat our packed lunches and sit and chat together. Today is a visit to "Room 101". In George Orwell's 1984, this was the room where the things most hated were gathered and used to torment people, but somebody decided this could be made into a lighthearted TV show.  That's what we are recreating today - but without Frank Skinner.
I've been asked to be one of the three 'guests' - and present things I'd like banished. Specifically something personal that I absolutely hate, something to banish for the sake of the nation's well-being, and also something I would like to see removed from church life. I will share my first two with you [not the third, that might cause too much disagreement!]

My personal pet hate is Cheap Instant Coffee. I drink 'proper' coffee, made in a cafetiere or filter machine, or a stove top pot. Never powdered stuff dissolved in boiling water. This is not coffee imho! It does not taste like the real thing, and studies have shown that it is possibly not so good for you, due to the presence of acrylamides. Unfortunately people serving coffee to a group often try and save money by having the cheapest jar of this abominable powder, and a mug of teaspoons next to the kettle. "Help yourself!" they say, as if they are offering you the nectar of the gods. 

No Way!! Proper coffee or nothing. And usually this is not a fairly traded product [ok Asda's is Rainforest Alliance, which is supposed to help the wildlife - but it doesn't support the workers] Banish it!
My choice of something to banish 'for the benefit of the nation' is the move towards "contactless/card payments only" situations. 
Yes, cards are useful - but what is wrong with cash? 
No, please don't tell me that it spreads covid, the WHO said so, and you read it in The Times 4 years ago. 


Yes the Times did print that misinformation - but did you also see their subsequent retraction of this mistake, [the WHO never said this] printed on the inside pages in a corner where it wouldn't be noticed? And yet hundreds of trading establishments stopped taking coins and notes immediately, and many have kept up the cashless situation ever since.
And this is making life difficult for many people. Children like Rosie, whose finance is all in pocket money - hard cash. Older people who do not trust credit cards, or internet banking, who feel secure with notes in their wallet. And many people with debt issues, who are working their way to being debt free by reverting to the old system of jars and envelopes to manage their spending each week, and to help them stick to a budget. They do not wanted to be tempted to 'flash the plastic' and run up more debts. For the sake of these people, I want more, not fewer shops and carparks and 'venues' to take real money, please. Banish signs like this one!
What would you send to Room 101, and why?

37 comments:

  1. Agree about the change to cashless.
    Can't think of anything to put in room 101 - too early in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would suggest you put tardy insurance companies on your list!

      Delete
  2. Love this!
    When we were responsible for serving coffee to Cbc's congregation at the carol service at Christmas we bought real coffee for this reason then accidentally smashed the caffetiere and had to resort to instant but I bought the best I could get in the Londis!
    I agree re card payments.
    I want to know the church one- send me a WhatsApp!!! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our churches have always used Kingdom Coffee - they provide excellent machines and supply filters and a choice of fair trade blends

      Delete
  3. I’m with you on both so far! A friend collects for Marie Curie and this year for the first time you can tap your donation as you go into Morrisons to shop. The Hospice carol service at Christmas was the same. We use decaff instant coffee but Norrie has 3 cups of real stuff every day as well. The other problem for young people is that they will not really understand the value of money if they just tap a card. Rant over. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, young people need to learn these skills

      Delete
  4. Absolutely agree with you about instant coffee. Yucky. I don't bother, just have water.
    I find mobile phones useful but hate that people are addicted to them. I was at the GP and everyone was staring at their phone. Not me, I was reading a real book, not a tablet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But some of them may be reading books downloaded to their phones...

      Delete
  5. Hmm. I'm with your first two but I have to admit to curiosity about the third!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would wholeheartedly support both of your candidates for Room 101. Cheap coffee power - ugh!! As for cash, yes we need to fight tooth and nail to keep using it for so many reasons. I have read an article recently about an individual advising Treasury and Central Bank who was arguing that we have to get rid of cash as it stops governments implementing negative interest rates. With advisors like that, we have a fight on our hands!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on instant coffee in any form, and also instant sweetened tea! For the nation I would ban mobile gambling apps and the ads on TV. I pray for friends and everyone working in organisations supporting people with any kind of addictions when these ads come on. And in church... like you, I'm not going to say. But I am fascinated to know what you chose!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun and interesting meet up. I agree 100% about instant coffee it doesn't even taste of coffee. I am very anti vaping especially as so many youngsters seem to be addicted and we don't really know what damage it does medically. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, vapes and cigarettes can go as far as I'm concerned

      Delete
  9. As a committed real coffee drinker I totally agree with you re instant. I would send all mobile phones away!! Now of course we are all desperate to know the third thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #3 caused much debate among the dozen people present, so I'm not sure it's helpful to share here!

      Delete
  10. AI(ay-eye!) My son works in the film and media industry. This could be the deathknell for his very hard-earned career.
    Most of Gen Z (excluding my grandchildren of course!).
    Most 'celebrities'.
    I could go on......!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the others today wanted to put driverless cars in the bin - and we had very good discussion of technology which takes away human input (AI etc)

      Delete
  11. I agree on both coffee and cash. My sister's local fish and chip shop has a notice up showing the costs to them of customers using cards - an excellent idea. I'm curious too as to number three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a number of local chip shops locally which have gone cash only

      Delete
  12. 💯 agree with your first two banishments and would dearly love to know the third 😉😀😍
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amen, sister! I, too, and curious about the 3rd topic.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. With you on instant coffee plus cafes etc that don't do filter coffee or cafetières only fancy stuff. For the nations good I would quite happily put mobile phones in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Others have common the evils of mobile phones!

      Delete
  15. I worry about cash disappearing, it’s important that we work to keep it. I also can’t bring myself to trust internet banking, and still need cheques from time to time. Surely there is room for both systems. Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  16. I popped back to see if you'd enlightened us regarding number 3!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. One time when there was a power outage in our nearby town, the stores were unable to process credit card payments. Fortunately when I arrived in the grocery store, I had a reasonable amount of cash on me, so I was able to purchase what I needed. I did note, however, that it is much harder to pick up unplanned "extras" when dealing with a limited amount of cash. CCs are a way to go over budget if we are not careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too easy to use the card and lose track of spending.

      Delete
  18. Do I dare admit that I have no problems with instant coffee? I used to have a favorite brand or two of instant coffee that I used to drink. These days, however, I rarely drink coffee. I prefer my tea! But, not just any tea; I'm particular about how my tea tastes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea, or coffee, I think most of us have a preferred "blend" or taste

      Delete
  19. I may be one of the few but I love my instant Nescafé coffee, I have tried some of the cheap ones when I used to do more money saving challenges but Nescafe is always head and shoulders above them. I agree wholeheartedly about keeping cash payments going.

    What would I put in Room 101 ... all the adverts, advertising hoardings and shop signs that have English words purposefully spelt wrong. How can children learn to use our lovely written language properly when they are driven through the 'Drive Thru'. There are so many, that I currently can't think off, but they drive me mad.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!