Wednesday 20 March 2024

Everything Everywhere All At Once

No I have not seen the film with this odd title, described as a phenomenally deranged sci-fi epic that catapults a heartwarming family story to cult status thanks to its cutting edge visual imagery and unexpected narrative quirks. But the phrase does describe the domestic chaos which seems to be besetting me at the minute...


First, my beloved Sebo vacuum cleaner, aged 27, stopped working in February. Fortunately there was a Panasonic cleaner here before we retired, and I had kept that. I dug it out and have been using that. It does the job, but not as efficiently. The Sebo had already been repaired once. Bob fixed it, but the motor smells, and it is no longer up to the job. I will learn to love the Panasonic.
Next, I switched on my Rowenta steam iron, last week, and all the lights went out and the TV went off! I let it cool down, tried again later, and the same thing happened. I had a smaller pre-retirement Bosch iron here. That came out and has been 'pressed into service' Yesterday Bob found the right hex keys for unscrewing the Rowenta. Verdict: that too is unfixable.  Rowenta have some sort of policy that you can buy spare parts for up to 15 years. I have had my iron just over 16 years! [So I cannot complain, it has given me good service] I have fewer items to iron now we are retired anyway.
Finally my Vax Steam Cleaner bit the dust yesterday. All that rain meant a fair bit of mud had come in, despite our best efforts at wiping feet. I decided to steam clean all the hard floors [that's everywhere except the study and the spare bedroom] But the design is faulty, in that however careful you are, this thing has a tendency to fall over if left unattended. And when the plastic handle hits the ground, it smashes. We realised we were onto our fourth layer of gaffer tape, and the thing could only be operated with both arms wrapped round the handle, top [switch] and bottom [steering] and cleaning the floor was altogether very complicated. I had the steam cleaner before I got the Rowenta - so again, a rather old piece of kit, and the plastic was very brittle.
I looked at the possibility of replacing it. But I don't want to shell out £80. Liz and Steph suggested I was overthinking, and I ought to use a regular mop and bucket. So I shall use the Vileda Mop that [you've guessed it] I used at Cornerstones pre-retirement. 
I am very fortunate to have replacements for each of these three items to hand, even if they aren't quite as good as the originals. 
But it really does feel as if everything, everywhere, all at once, is falling to bits. 

14 comments:

  1. That's hard. I love my steam mop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall persevere with my "old school" vileda for as long as I can.

      Delete
  2. I've often found that things all break down or decide to retire themselves for ever at the same time. It was a case in point a few weeks ago when Alan's Remoska broke, he had the older one so it was to be expected I guess. I offered him mine and before I could even give it to him it gave up the ghost too even though it was a few years younger. The result was I bought my self an air fryer to give it a go and Alan bit the bullet and paid for a new Remoska.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been tempted by the Remoska. Don't have an air fryer either

      Delete
  3. We had a spell during Covid when we needed a new washing machine, dishwasher and fridge freezer. They were all around 16 years old from when the extension was built so I guess it’s not surprising they all went at once. The las time the iron went, I got one for £10 in Asda Home and it’s been brilliant. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irons seem to last indefinitely or give up the ghost after six months in my experience. And I agree, often things all collapse at the same time because they are the same age. We had some Ravenhead Glassware as wedding gifts (it was new out that summer) tumblers, goblets, tall glasses, fruit dishes etc. in the space of six months, when they were about 8 years old, the items began to spontaneously shatter _ all 40 ended up in bits! Fortunately my best wedding present is still in good working order, and I shall continue to treasure him as a replacement would be impossible!!

      Delete
  4. Ah, just proves that linked things come in 3s.
    I once told my Dad never to buy my mother anything with an electric cord as a gift and it meant work - and gifts shouldn't mean work! I was a know-it-all teen at the time!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it Hoover who got into big trouble for an ad campaign saying that the little woman would love to receive a new vacuum cleaner for Christmas?? 😉

      Delete
  5. They do all tend to break down at the same time, don't they? How fortunate that you have replacements available for most of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having had Cornerstones for 12 years, it was pretty well equipped. Although we did get rid of a lot of duplicates when we retired

      Delete
  6. Ah, how unfortunate!!! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to learn of the demise of your trusted appliances all around the same time. I sympathize. We have had similar experiences, one thing after another, the latest being a car! One thing I have found with appliances is that after a number of years, no matter how hard you search on-line, the companies have either given up producing spare parts for that model or have even forgotten that they ever made that model in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that more companies are recognising the need to offer repairs and spares now.

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!