Monday 18 March 2024

And They All Lived Happily Ever After

When we moved to Dorset, Sir Julian Fellowes [creator of Downton Abbey] lived25 miles up the road. And Highclere Castle, location for the filming, was in the opposite direction, in Berkshire. Less than an hour away from Ferndown. I know it isn't in the National Trust, but please can we visit? I said. In 2015.

I met Sir J and his wife in a local Charity shop once [Lady F took the photo on my phone] A jolly nice chap he was too. In the autumn of 2019 I went with a group of 10 friends to see the first Downton film at the cinema in Poole But I still hadn't been to  to Highclere. "We retire in eighteen months" I said - so in 2020 we must go" Bob said that was fine, we would. Nobody went anywhere in 2020 did they?  [except Barnard Castle, or parties in Downing Street]

And we moved to Norfolk [200 miles, nearly 4 hours to Highclere] The sequel film came out in 2022. Bob wasn't interested in going to see it, I couldn't find anyone to go with. 
Then at last, it was released on Netflix on Friday. Saturday Bob was doing woodwork in the workshop - so I settled down with tea and cross stitch and indulged in an afternoon of  sheer escapism.

If you enjoyed the series and the first film , you will enjoy this. If you are not really up on the backstory of DA it may be a little confusing in places.
But I loved it - crazy plot, but somehow it managed to tie up all the ends in tidy little bows. People who should have got together did, difficult people were placated. Some neat little in-jokes - like when the French Milliner mistakes Carson the butler for Lady Bagshaw's husband. [Carson being played by Jim Carter, Lady B plated by his real life wife of 40 years, Imelda Staunton]

It was enormous fun and I shall probably watch it again sometime. *****




31 comments:

  1. So, did you ever go to see Highclere?
    I haven't watched Downton Abbey, but, I did go to see the 1st movie with my friend R (it was being shown, free of charge, at the library). I haven't seen the second movie. Glad you enjoyed it, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still waiting to visit Highclere. How lovely to see it FREE at your library

      Delete
  2. I avoided Downton Abbey for some time, thinking that I wouldn't enjoy it. I was wrong, I loved it! The last film was very good. I have been watching The Durrells on Netflix, again late to the party but enjoying it. And seeing Corfu is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Durrells was good fun [all that Mediterranean sunshine]

      Delete
  3. The opening scene to New Era was filmed a stone’s throw from where I live. If you remember your late 1980s early 1990’s TV you probably recognized the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked familiar - I shall have to check it again

      Delete
    2. Oh of course, it is Belchamp Hall - aka Felsham Hall in the Lovejoy series. How utterly weird for Phyllis Logan ! Playing Lady Jane [upstairs] in one film then Mrs Hughes [downstairs] in the other!

      Delete
    3. 10 out of 10 for sleuthing. Phyllis Logan was quite emotional returning to the hall. Lovejoy was the start of her career. It was interesting watching the filming.

      Delete
  4. We've been catching up on the full series of DA on Netflix, so were waiting with remote in hand for the film to be released on Friday, and well worth it. I just wish that Netflix could get the first film as well, then we could binge-watch the full set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Netflix does have the first film now, check it out

      Delete
  5. Above all, I would have loved to go to the cinema with you. Downton Abbey simply delicious... I love escaping into it... wonderful.
    And the fact that you were able to see the originals is simply wonderful...
    kind regards to you.
    I wish you a happy week.
    Thank you. Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Viola, a cinema trip with you, and other blogfriends would be lovely!

      Delete
  6. I used to love DA but have somehow left it behind, think I should revisit it
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do revisit, there are some fun episodes

      Delete
  7. When I was working for the Aristocrats, I couldn't watch Downtown because it seemed too close to home and I'd had enough of plummy accents but now that I'm retired (though still keeping my hand in every week, 'doing' for one of the daughters!), I love it now and have binge watched right up to the first film. I was unaware there was a new film so thanks for that Ang!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came out in 2022 just after lockdown etc I think

      Delete
  8. Ps Fellowes' book 'Belgravia' is worth a read too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that one. I did like Gosford Park, for which he wrote the screen play. Film Trivia - in GP, Jeremy Northam plays the composer Ivor Novello, and I am told he played the piano pieces [ie they did not have to film the hands of a stand-in pianist ]

      Delete
    2. I was going to mention Gosford Park which was very amusing as I remember. I warltched the first series of DA but then... not sure why we stopped

      Delete
    3. I came to it a little late, but I love Maggie Smith's acting!

      Delete
  9. My daughter treated my friend and I to both Downton films and we thoroughly enjoyed them. I have since watched both again through Prime I think. They were such lovely escapist viewing-sometimes that’s just what you need. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Saturday afternoon chillin' out with tea and shortbread...

      Delete
  10. My daughter has been to Highclere and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who marvelous that your happened to meet Sir Julian in in the charity shop! What are the chances of that?

    I, too, completely miss DA and am resolved to see it start to finish soon.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before Covid we went to the Battle Proms in the grounds of Highclere Castle which was pretty impressive but have not actually visited the Castle itself although our son and DIL live very near. I went to watch the film The New Era with my sister and daughter, great film. Glad you got to watch it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It must be over 55 years since I went to a village fete in the grounds of Highclere Castle (we lived in the next village over). I've enjoyed the Downton Abbey series, we watched Downton Abbey A New Era on DVD from our library and it did not disappoint! We sometimes see one of the actors in another production and struggle to remember where we saw them - oh yes, Downton Abbey!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!