Wednesday 27 March 2024

Janome Joys!

 Five weeks ago, just before holiday club started, I took myself off to Norwich and ordered a new sewing machine. It is a Janome 5270 QDC. QDC stands for Quilting, Decor, Couture - it is a designed to be an "all-round" machine, for people who make Quilts, Curtains, Clothes etc. 

It is from the same series as the 5060 used on the Sewing Bee - but has a bigger, stronger machine. Karen at Sew Creative asked me about the sort of sewing I do. "Are you a quilter?" I told her I have some pieces cut and waiting to be sewn up - but other projects got in the way...memory bears, fancy dress costumes for friends, covers for PA equipment made from recycled gazebo walls...and basic dressmaking and clothes renovations. She suggested that the 5060 can struggle with tougher fabrics and paying the extra would be worth it in the long run. I should get many years of service from it.This will be my last machine - I am not sure I will still be sewing when I am 90!
But I am loving it! On a day when Bob was out at the Hospice, I spent my time just playing around with the machine and see what stitches it did, experimenting with the new features I have never had on a machine before, and generally having fun.
Great things to mention are
  • The scissor switch- which cuts threads very neatly as you finish a piece
  • The lock-stitch switch, which does that little forward-backward-forward dance automatically at the beginning and end of a lionbe of stitching
  • The Knee Lifter - a lever which attaches to the front of the machine, and when I'm manoeuvring round corners or curves, this allows me to do it with both hands, because I can raise the presser foot by nudging the lever with my knee.
  • The automatic needle threader. 
  • The easy digital stitch selector panel 
  • The option of operating with a foot pedal or a stop start switch
  • The clear LED display
  • PLUS
  • The 'quilters' box' containing a Walking Foot and other aids
  • The extension table for spreading the weight of larger projects
Back in 2019, cousin Gillian gave me a pretty notebook for Christmas. I have decided it should be for my Sewing Notes
I have made a note of the things I discovered on my Practice Day [the instruction book is very comprehensive - so it is useful to know page 60 is the Twin Needle section], and all the projects worked on thus far. 3 bears, 4 cushion pads, 4 garments and an ironing board cover. That's a dozen items in the first month.
I think one thing I need to make soon is a cover for my notebook - the cover is a strange sort of embossed cardboard, and I suspect it will show the dirt very quickly.
My other 'regular' machine, and my embroidery machine are both made by Janome. I'm very happy with the design and quality of their products. Both John Lewis and Dunelm sell their own branded machines- but these are made for them by Janome. I would definitely recommend these machines. 



35 comments:

  1. I love the stitches! It sounds like a sound investment! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has HUNDREDS of possible stitch patterns, AND an alphabet. So I was able to stitch Rosie's name very easily on a garment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful machine for you I bet you are on sewing cloud number nine. I have never been a machine sewer, I used old hand and treadle machines many years ago but was always rather hesitant with electric machines. Of course I am not a seamstress like you but I can appreciate what joy it must bring you Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob said I was "purring with delight" as I tried it out

      Delete
  4. The looking sewing shop uses Janome machines and overlockers so I guessed they were good all round machines. Well done you for practising and trying out stitches and very well done for keeping a notebook of things you want to remember! Happy sewing and quilting. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting quite serious about my notebooks now [Kirsten's good influence there!]

      Delete
  5. I am consumed with envy for the starter forwards and backwards stitching and the thread snipper and the thingy for lifting the presser foot with your knee! Oh frabjous joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I manage to 'downsize' into my six bedroom bungalow (!) I will have a sewing room with ironing board and sewing machine permanently set up! (And laundry room, library, study, music room, quiet sitting room, living room-kitchen, bathroom, wet room.....one can dream...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or you will tell N that lunch is a sandwich on a tray, because the dining table in your new little bungalow is covered with a seeing machine and fabric!

      Delete
    2. Dining room table is already divided half and half into 'my study' and 'his study'! We clear one end to eat.

      Delete
    3. Is this division equal? Or is it always N who has to shift his stuff??!!

      Delete
  7. It sounds like a really good machine. It's good to get professional advice when you are investing in something new like that isn't it. This one should keep you happily stitching for years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review on the Janome. Kate from The Last Homely House on You Tube uses one and it looks a good workhorse. I shall investigate further. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know those YouTube clips. I too will investigate!

      Delete
  9. Lovely that you are able to combine your great skills with a machine that has so many great features . Looking forward to seeing more makes.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿงต๐Ÿชก

      Delete
  10. I have a Janome also, and it has served me very well over the years,

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun piece of equipment, I can't think of anything ( which could be purchased) that would give you more useful pleasure. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it when someone get a new machine, their joy is contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You certainly deserve a tiptop sewing machine for all your projects. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like a wonderful machine! I know you will enjoy sewing with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My Mum's 93 and just bought herself a new sewing machine! It's just her healing shoulder that's keeping her from using it presently!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope your Mum is healed up quickly and back to stitching

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!