Tuesday 19 March 2024

The Bottom Line

I may give up on the Village Garden Club. I went to learn more about gardening, but it feels as if one is expected to know a certain amount before joining. I asked a question about rhubarb in the autumn, and the answer was quite confusing. I am happy to report that I ignored the advice given, and my rhubarb is thriving. And had I left the rhubarb in situ, it would now be under the concrete base of the new oil tank. Last month I asked when I should plant out my chitted potatoes "Oh you will just know" I was told before the meeting [my question never even got read out]  I was a little miffed - I didn't know, that was why I was asking! 
So when Bernie came along to our craft group yesterday, [and I know he is a great gardener] I said "Bernie, I have potatoes chitting on my windowsill - when can I plant them out?" he immediately replied "How's your bum?"
"Um, fine, but why are you asking?" Bernie explained that when you can put your bare bum on the earth and it doesn't feel cold, then it's ok to plant out your spuds. 

Other people present said yes, they had heard this piece of folk wisdom. The German lady said she learned it when she came to Norfolk, and was told it was a Norfolk saying, and some said Monty Don and Alan Titchmarsh have quoted this too.

After lunch I went into the back garden and tried The Bare Bum Test - very discreetly! So now my potatoes are all planted. I've also put in some radish and lettuce seeds, as advised by Huw Richards. This year, I am moving everything along 3 sections, so I get proper crop rotation, and I'm not growing things in the same row, year on year. 
The Egyptian walking onions are looking healthy [no sign of bulbils on the top yet] I have daffs, narcissus and tulips in flower too. 
Looking forward to more veg from the raised bed this year, and perhaps more flowers in the front border too.

28 comments:

  1. I might not go for 'the bottom line' test although it would be easier for me than many as I grow my veg in large pots! Maybe an elbow like testing baby's bath water would do? I've heard of your test in Hampshire too. I've also heard that one should plant potatoes on Good Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Friday can apparently occur anywhere between March 20 & April 23, so I'm a couple of days early!

      Delete
  2. Testing by hand would have been OK!! I've never heard of anyone actually using the bare bum method - it's a well known saying in Suffolk too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing photos! I'm laughing at you doing the bum test! I often don't understand garden advice which can be annoying! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you mean photos of the plants, not the testing process Kezzie!

      Delete
  4. I find the same with crafting-I joined our local embroiderers’ group when I retired. Hardly learned a thing because the replies were similar to your gardening ones or they kind of sneered at how I would do something eg it was the LAW that you mitred corners and I sometimes don’t. I left after a couple of years and then they realised they had nobody to organise the social events “ because I was very good at that”. They were confused when I said I knew that, but had actually come to learn about embroidery! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always a shame when people come to join a group (crafting, book club, church, whatever) and the existing members look to see what the newbie can contribute, rather than how the oldies can help them to feel welcomed. But it so often happens that way, sadly.

      Delete
  5. I have never heard that one! I always used potato bags so maybe it wouldnt apply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from two rows in the raised bed, the majority of my spuds (following your helpful suggestion last year) are in potato trugs in the garden too!

      Delete
  6. That is so funny my sister lives in Norfolk in a small village and she used to have an allotment, when she first started gardening there a few of her allotment neighbours were real old Norfolk men and they were full of helpful advice a lot of which my sister did not understand. One such example was How's your bum? To my knowledge she didn't try the rest but planted her potatoes when all the other allotment holders planted their potatoes. Such marks regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have time to have an allotment!(There is a waiting list in the village. And some of the locals are very sniffly about the other plot holders. We won't even mention the Great Gooseberry Theft)

      Delete
  7. I laughed right out loud at the bare bum test. Never heard that before!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You forgot to include the photo from the 'bare bum test'!! ;-)

    I plant everything out a bit later than I should, I have always found that things romp away at the speed of knots when they think they have to catch up to the weather. It will still be a couple of weeks before I sow any seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm further south than you, so hope my spuds will be ok.

      Delete
  9. Still laughing here. Did Bob act as look-out?!

    Am glad to know Alan Titchmarsh is still about. I miss their show with Charlie and whats-his-name.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't dare to try that test here right now. We have a thin layer of snow back on the ground again! ❄️😳

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't believe you did that!!! Alan Titchmarsh has a new gardening prog on Mondays in the afternoon, ITV. I can't watch it then but it'll be on catch-up. I find these so-called clubs or groups turn into closed shops and certainly promote elitism in one way or another. Leave them to it, it's entirely their loss! Sounds like you're doing ok by yourself anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My subs are paid up till Christmas, but I may not renew

      Delete
  12. I thought I commented on this post late last night, but, I guess I only imagined it! I hope you have a bountiful potato harvest! :D You've reminded me that I planted two sweet potatoes in the garden, last year, and then, forgot all about it! I must have M dig around where I planted them to see if there's anything to harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been wanting to grow potatoes, but not sure about this bum test!! Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We always plant potatoes on St Patrick's Day! And I've never heard of your test 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ☘️Not heard of that tradition☘️

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!