Friday 26 July 2024

I Got U Babe!

 Did you see Cher in this slightly odd ad? 
TV channels Drama, Yesterday, Dave have all combined under the umbrella of "U". Last week when I was recuperating for a couple of days after my dental work, I watched some programmes I'd almost forgotten about. Like Howard's Way.  That was meant to be the BBC's answer to Dallas [with boats instead of oil] Those dreadful 1980s Fashions! The women must have got through so many cans of Elnett Hairspray. Do you remember that one?
There are newer shows, including quite a few crime dramas. I may finally get round to watching the Whitstable Pearl. And I'm looking forward to Annika with Nicola Walker. I enjoyed the original radio programmes set in Scandinavia, and will be interested to see how well her relocation to the UK works. I shan't bother with Sister Boniface, she irritates me! 
It is a free channel, but the price you pay is seemingly interminable advert breaks,which often inexplicably happen mid-sentence. 
At least the rebranding means they will stop those irritating adverts saying "There's only one channel called Drama" 
Have you caught up with U yet? 


24 comments:

  1. I can't say your post has lured me into trying it! Although, actually I did sometimes watch "Drama".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it is not going to be top of my "must watch' list

      Delete
  2. Agree with you comments Angela, Talking Pictures is a favourite here too.. I enjoyed Annika, we both did. We were ok with Whistable Pearl but no to Boniface!
    Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Jill x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talking Pictures is great for the old B&W stuff. I love the way that British chap says "thank you for watching" after each film

      Delete
  3. Oh, that's too funny! U is a brand of sanitary napkins, over here, made by Kotex! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn’t know about this channel so I may have a look while the TV is showing all the sports-thank you. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whitstable Pearl is OK. Mr FD likes it because he is from that area so knows the locations. We have already watched Annika (can't remember where) & we really enjoyed it. Mr FD had heard the radio version & was happy with the crossover. I haven't watched Sister Boniface, but I don't think I will, after your "recommendation"! Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for comment on WP(Bob grew up near Canterbury)

      Delete
  6. Yes, the interminable ads! I do like anything with Nicola Walker in. Whitstable Pearl - not my cup of tea. We recently watched The High Country, quite enjoyed that.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched High Country, will check it out

      Delete
  7. You will enjoy Whitstable Pearl which is now in its 2nd series. We watch Sister Boniface very occasionally when there isn't anything else on and you can still buy Elnett Hairspray as I used to buy my Stepmum a very large can as part of her Christmas pressie. Hugs Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wrote a huge comment this morning! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched the first series of Whitstable Pearl, but it never really grabbed me. I just didn't really like Pearl. I loved Sister Boniface when she used to pop up on Father Brown and missed watching her own series when it was 1st on tv, but I did see the Christmas Special, only to wonder why I had wasted my time! Talking Pictures has introduced me to some real little gems. They truly 'don't make them like that anymore'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We picked up on Drama several years ago now when they ran the original BBC Joan Hickson Miss Marple programmes. We'd tried to tape them when originally broadcast, without much success, so it was a real pleasure to pick them up again, even with the ads. We've watched many more of the crime drama reruns as well subsequently - Father Brown, New Tricks, Inspector Lynley etc.
    In fact, our choice of TV was dictated by whether it would give us Drama on catch-up .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan Hickson is definitely my favourite Miss Marple

      Delete
  11. I can cope better with adverts if I turn the sound off and look the other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - it's time to go to the loo or put the kettle on

      Delete
    2. Interestingly Drama has an ad countdown timer, so you know how long you've got before the programme restarts - not seen that on other channels.

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!