Saturday 11 February 2012

Scant Crumbs Of Comfort

At the start of the year, I wrote to Morrison's Supermarket, to complain about their Focaccia Mix.

DSCF3030Now I admit it was reduced in the sale, and that was what tempted me into purchasing.

But it did say “Serves 6” on the front of the box, and there was a photograph of what appeared to be a reasonably sized loaf.

 

My complaint was that after more careful reading of the instructions, I discovered that the dough should be placed on a 13cm square baking DSCF3031sheet.

 

I felt this was rather small, and that the resulting pieces of bread would be less than 2 inches square.

DSCF3033I wrote and pointed this out – carefully making my text 13cm sq – and drawing a circle to represent the dough upon it.

 

After 5 weeks, they have finally replied to my letter.

They agree the picture is misleading. They say the instructions are misleading too. Apparently the dough should be 13cm square [still pretty paltry if you ask me] and not round, as pictured.

They say that they are taking steps to rectify these errors.

Did I get my money back? or some sort of gift voucher?

NO. NOTHING. NADA.

Just the vague satisfaction of knowing that they should be changing their misleading packaging soon. But don’t rush out and buy it – when I did make up the loaf, we both found it really disappointing!

10 comments:

  1. That is very short sighted of them. You would imagine that they would want to placate you, showering you with goodies, rather than simply sending you a bland letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - and then I would have written a really positive blogpost about them, instead of a negative rant.

      Delete
  2. Hi Angela

    Very disappointing. They could have given you a voucher or something for your trouble. I have never been totally sold on the kits having tested one or two in the recent past. Its much better home made. I buy the Waitrose Canadian OO flour both white and wholemal for £1.69 a bag. I get approximately 3 loaves from one bag (If making loaves). I have to use a bread machine as I have artrhitis and Raynauds syndrome in my hands (although I have the occasional foray into making bread by hand when I am feeling up to it). Predominantly though I just make the dough in the machine and then shape, add ingredients to and bake in the oven. If it is the recipes you are after the following books have some very unusual and varied recipes. They are:

    1. Real Food Recipes for your Breadmaker ISBN 0 572-02771-0. by Carol Palmer. (this one has recipes for Croissants, Bagels, Teacakes, Devonshire Splits, milk bread etc.

    2. Speciality Breads in your Bread Machine by Norman A Garrett ISBN 0-8069-9511-4.

    3. Breads Cakes Rolls and more from your Bread Machine by Rob Wanless ISBN 0-8069-6533-9.

    4. Great Bread Machine Recipes by Norman A Garrett ISBN 0-8069-8724-3.

    Hope you are keeping well.

    Take care

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP - I shall look out for these at the library. I love getting personal recommendations for books.

      Delete
  3. Oh and if you want a recipe for home made focaccia here's one I have personally tried and it is very yummy and you can vary what you put on it or in it.
    http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.com/2011/05/focaccia.html

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So disappointing to have such a bland response to your letter. The author of another blog I follow had a similar response to a complaint she made to Morrison's, but she followed it up with a second letter and let them know that she wrote a blog. A much better response followed quickly. It might be worth a try. I have to say that I have never found good customer service to be one of Morrison's strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree they should have at least refunded your money. They should have an email address, send them an email along with a link to this post.

    In Canada, companies would have refunded you your money, as making customers happy should be their number one priority......poor, poor customer service!!

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done as you suggested and emailed them with a link! We will wait and see

      Delete
  6. What terrible service from Morrisons. I go there often for my groceries and I am shocked to hear they didn't offer any form of compensation, I'm sure a voucher as a gesture of goodwill wouldn't have broken the bank!
    We have had similar with John Lewis, they now don't reply to emails, even the CEO hasn't replied to our complaint about the complaint IYKWIM. They don't deserve our custom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morrisons obviously do not mind losing customers.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!