Sunday 1 March 2015

Pause In Lent # 2– A Basket Case!

A Pause in Lent Floss

Just a quick thought this morning – I am about to go off and spend the day learning to create baskets. Not my usual Sunday occupation- this is my Christmas Present from Steph – a day’s course on basketmaking. No doubt I shall have lots to tell you afterwards- I’m really excited about the prospect.

We have to wear ‘old work clothes, as they may get damaged’ and take out own knife and secateurs [and a packed lunch – but hot drinks will be provided throughout the day!]

I started thinking about baskets in the Bible, and came up with 4 stories about baskets – 2 Old Testament, 2 New Testament.

In Leviticus, there are the instructions to Moses about the offerings made at the Tabernacle, where bread is put into baskets - and then in all the gospels, we read of the feeding of the 5000, where the leftovers of bread and fish were gathered up into twelve baskets.

tabernacle breadloaves-and-fishes

In Exodus, Jocabed puts her baby Moses into a papyrus basket, and hides him in the reeds of the Nile. In Acts, the disciples in Damascus helped Paul escape, by letting him out of the window in a basket.

moses in basket

Paul_being_let_down_in_a_basket

In the first two examples, the baskets were used for provision of food. In the other two stories, it is all about protection. In the Old Testament God is called Jehovah -Jireh, the Lord my provider, and Jehovah-Rohi, the Lord my protector/shepherd

jehovah jireh

God is our provider and our protector

jehovah rohi

That’s something to ponder upon as I am weaving my basket today!

8 comments:

  1. What a super present. I'm sure you will enjoy learning the craft. We used to see a basket maker in the French markets, and he made it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread for the soul as I look at my basket filled with daffodils!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good examples and hope you enjoy your course today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way your mind works- Yes, he is our provider and protector! Enjoy this fun activity!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see what you weave! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baskets! Love baskets! Hope you had a great day making baskets.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!