Friday 27 March 2015

Show-Offs

more seeds

A while back I bought a bag of ‘cereal topping’ on offer in Lidl. A mixture of “nutritious milled linseed, cranberries, blueberries etc.” I wondered if I could use it in ways other than sprinkling on my porridge or yogurt, and found one or two muesli bar recipes. I adapted these and made my own bars. It used up the honey at the bottom of the jar, and some leftover dried fruits too.

  • 175g butter
  • zest of 1 orange
  • 120g demerara sugar
  • 3tbsp honey
  • 250 porridge oats
  • 2tbsp plain flour
  • 150g mixed dried fruit [I used sultanas, apricots, cranberries]
  • 50g mixed seeds
  1. Heat the oven to 160ºC [fan] Line a baking tray [27 x19cm] with parchment paper
  2. Melt the first four ingredients gently in a large pan
  3. Mix the next four together, then tip into pan and stir well till all is evenly coated.
  4. Turn into turn, flatten out evenly, bake for 20 minutes, until golden at the edges, but slightly soft in the centre. Leave too cool in tin- mark into 15 bars whilst still warm.
  5. If you like, warm 1tbsp honey and brush over surface of the bars in  the tin as they cool. Leave for 5 minutes, turn out, and cut into bars.

The amount of honey/sugar/butter seems a little high. I may tweak this a bit next time  [I realise you need a certain amount to make the dry ingredients stick together. I have stored mine in an airtight container. I wrapped some in parchment for our Wimborne Picnic.

honey muesli bars

Bob declared them to be very good, and he admired the professional wrapping. Therefore I have decided to rename these home-made muesli bars Show-Offs, to remind me of the ingredients –

Sugar, Honey, Orange zest, Warm butter,

Oats, Fruit, Flour, Seeds.

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, he's clever, that husband of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! clever!
    I love flapjacks and some muesli bars but, have to watch the sugar content. As you said, the honey/sugar quantity does seem a bit high. I wonder if mixing a little warm water with the butter might help the 'glueing' process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting thought. I had wondered about a little milk or yogurt. Water has fewer calories though!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Angela. Wonder if a teeny tiny spoonful of golden syrup mixed with the honey would help with the sticking together of the ingredients? I'll give it a go and let you know.Have a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another good suggestion. I am very partial to a spoonful of Golden Syrup now and then [on toast, crumpets, pancakes...], so there's always some in the cupboard

      Delete
  4. Stop bargging (deliberate misspelling)! They sound a good idea. I should try this!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look tasty and very professional, so you are allowed your very smart show off!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!