Tuesday 10 March 2015

Six Weeks On…

P1000620

Is it really only six weeks since we left Kirby Muxloe and came here? It feels like months!

Bob has already had to plan a wedding blessing and three funerals – and quite a few Sunday services. I have unpacked hundreds of boxes- but there are still more to go [wrist in a splint has definitely slowed up that occupation]

I miss a few of the old things

  • an ensuite bathroom where I can step into a shower [not clamber into a bath]
  • a double garage
  • my kitchen table where I could roll out pastry comfortably, and sit on a chair [not climb up onto a stool at the breakfast bar]
  • my rapid, efficient dishwasher [this one is smaller and slower]
  • kitchen cupboards wide enough to take my dinner plates
  • a waist-high cooker, and eye-level grill [I keep burning the things-on-toast!]

But I am appreciating many of the new things

  • the lovely carpets, especially in the bedroom – so pleasant to walk on [especially barefoot]
  • the fresh paint in all the rooms
  • the efficient flushing of both the loos in the house
  • a cupboard tall enough to store ironing board and vacuum cleaner – and a pantry cupboard
  • the proximity of a large well-stocked library [with few fees]
  • cycle paths

These are all just things.

Yes, I miss my old dear friends – but the blog, and email and facebook do help with all that – and I still can share in the good news of new babies, and other things like that. But we are making new, kind friends [and yes Dawn, we are getting to know others in the community as well – not just people from the church]

ground

Someone said to Bob on Sunday “You’ve certainly hit the ground running!” – it is a lively congregation with lots going on, and he has been kept really busy, whilst I have been quite occupied with WWDP stuff.

I just hit the ground hard – and I am struggling to accept the limitations caused by my injured wrist. I know it was an accident, but feel that somehow it was my own fault [everybody falls over sometime!]

madonna fall

In the great scheme of life, these issues are utterly trivial. I have a roof over my head, and food on the table, and clothes on my back - and people who care about me- and above all, a great God.

I’m not saying this because I am in need, for I am learning to be content whatever the circumstances… I have learned the secret… I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

8 comments:

  1. A lovely summary. Well done!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angelina/Madonna, don't fall over again! I'm shifting soon and am not looking forward to the packing/unpacking. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've moved so many times in my life (military family growing up) and often made the mistake of romanticizing what I'd left behind. It sounds like you're much more balanced in your thinking. And I have to say that an efficient toilet makes up for any number of losses!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just don't get breakfast bars - wonder who had that daft idea and I'm not built for high stools!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how much you have both done in the last weeks, and I only know a fragment! I love your lists- may I borrow that idea for our year anniversary at the end of this month?? A year. Imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that's funny,. I fell over at the weekend and now have a very sore wrist. Great minds not so much thinking alike as not paying attention :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being only a little taller than you, I dislike breakfast bar/stools too! My Niece has recently re-modelled her kitchen and has these contraptions! She has to lower the stool and hold it still while I clamour on it!
    Hope your wrist is soon back to normal xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I discovered a very long time ago (as a child) that life is so much better if you are happy/ content with what you have rather than yearning for what you have left behind or have never had. That early grounding as a forces child who was always on the move, starting new schools and making new friends has stood me in good stead throughout the years, though I didn't realise at the time how helpful it was going to be. I think it has played a large part in the way that I have been able to deal with all that life has thrown at me.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!