Tuesday 19 April 2016

Belle Of The Ball

I thought I had left all those Disney Dressmaking tasks behind when we moved from Leicestershire, but it seems I haven't.
A young lady I know had a "Belle" princess dress, but it was rather too small for her. The sizing on these frocks seems rather skimpy, to me. There was a white underskirt, which had a plastic hoop threaded through the hem, like a crinoline.

I needed to make the dress larger in the chest and waist, lengthen it, and also change the underskirt. My friend also has to spend time in her wheelchair, and a rigid circle of plastic does not settle well, but pops up. 
I began by removing the hoop and carefully cutting down the side seams and laying the dress out.



Next I cut panels to insert in each side [the front was brocade, but the back and bodice mostly just plain gold]  and some white panels for the sides of the underskirt. I used golden tulle to make an extension frill, so that the underskirt would still give the dress some shape, but be easier to accommodate when sitting in the chair.
I was pleased with the final result. The dress has been altered to fit, with some growing room - but still looks remarkably similar.



Do you think Rosie will want Disney dresses when she is older? Liz and Steph never desired such things - but I did make other costumes for them when they needed them.

6 comments:

  1. The dress looks lovely. I'm sure Rosie will want Princess dresses when she knows grandma make such beautiful ones.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a lovely job altering the dress. I'm sure you'll be more than able to whip up any costumes Rosie will be wanting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Ang. She will be delighted I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the look of the altered dress best! It looks even more 'Princessy'.
    That is one of the type of things I used to like doing, so satisfying for the recipient and me.
    Well done again xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always a wonderful creation fit for a princess!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done!!! You are brilliant Ang!x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!