Monday 14 November 2016

Cereal Numbers

Off to my WWDP Residential Conference today - so the freezer has plenty of meals in it and there is cake in the tin. Not that Bob is incapable of looking after himself, but I feel better knowing there is food in the house. 
Years ago, in my student days, my friend Dorothy showed me her One Cup All Bran Loaf Cake recipe. It is good because it needs no eggs or fat. I often add an egg and bake a little longer.
  1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C
  2. Combine in a jug one cup each of AllBran, flour, dried fruit, cold tea – plus half a cup of sugar and one egg. Mix well.
  3. Pour into a lined loaf tin [or use a nonstick silicon one]
  4. Bake 50 minutes
This weekend I had plenty of eggs - but no AllBran. So I made two loaves, one using crushed Weetabix for the cereal, with chopped dates and dried apricots for the fruit, and one using muesli and sultanas.
 They came out OK but I think the oven was a little too hotand the tops cracked [I should have got used to it after nearly 2 years...]


We have had a few slices from the Weetabix/apricot/date one. Pleasant as it is, even better with a smear of buttery goodness. [Those large dark bits are dates and apricots not big holes]
Cakes made in loaf tins are so much easier to slice up without crumbs and wastage. 

I am beginning to think about Christmas Baking. I'd like to make a festive variation on HughFWs condensed milk ice cream using cranberries, and also some interesting biscuits.
The Lidl Stollen and Panettone have been purchased- and more importantly, I am continuing to fill my Reverse Advent Food Bag.



4 comments:

  1. I've been making Christmas pudding ice-cream for decades - it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you use the cold tea to substitute for the milk called for in the original recipe? This sounds like a good recipe, especially since I have lots of cereal I could use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use whatever is to hand, tea or milk. Both work

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!