Thursday 25 April 2019

How Does Your Garden Grow?

That's a rather personal question, isn't it? For some it gives an opportunity to rave about this year's stunning display of penstemon, for others a moaning session about slugs eating the hostas, but others take the opportunity to offer a bag of tomatoes or courgettes from their unexpectedly good harvest*...and some of us mutter about being busy/under the weather/a bit lazy.
But in my own little way I've made slight progress on the horticultural front this year. Parsley and dill from the trough in the front bed continue to garnish our meals. Bob said he wasn't that keen on the Rocket, but he still politely eats it when I sneak it into the salad bowl.
I've moved on from cress-on-a-flannel. I 'm now working on peas-in-a-pot** T hese are some pea shoots I've been growing on the kitchen windowsill. They're Terribly Trendy 
More importantly, they're ridiculously easy to grow.T hey are growing in two paper cups inside my big enamel mug. I bought that 15 years ago in Boston on our Silver Wedding Holiday. I think it cost 1$. I t is way too big for drinks, but great for this purpose.
I see that if you want to spend a lot, monthly window sill herbs are available mail order now (Here)
*these friends are always so generous - I'm making Rhubarb Windows this week, using produce from a kind church member.
**Oops! That sounds a bit like a Marie Lloyd song

7 comments:

  1. Daft question but how do you do the pea shoots? We've got lots of herbs in the garden which I love using: Rosemary , Lavender, Marjoram, Sage, Giant chives, Garlic chives, Oregano, Parsley, Mint, Mitcham Mint, Lime Mint, Chocolate Mint, Lemon Balm, Thyme, Tarragon, Camomile! Mmmmm..all delicious but maybe too many! I LOVE rhubarb! I wish we had space for it!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a jar of dried peas in the cupboard (it is at least 6years old) I put some compost in a paper cup, and moistened it. Then poked half a dozen 2cm holes with blunt end of the kitchen pencil. Dropped pea in each hole. Filled holes with compost. Watered, and waited. And it worked!

      Delete
  2. The regularly used Simon and Garfunkel herbs: parsley, sage rosemary and thyme, (or at least the latter three) are extremely easy to grow needing minimal attention. Now is a good time to get some if you don’t have them. Next Christmas the supermarkets will be selling small sprigs in cellophane wrappers for about £1.75 each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminder about thyme. I did have some but it died in the heat last summer

      Delete
  3. Your pea shoots in a pot is a great idea! I now wish I had simply kept the pea shoots I had growing in starter pots indoors, on the window sill instead of planting them outside - the mourning doves ate them all! Maybe I'll get another packet of seeds and grow them in a pot, like you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're always so on trend! Five years on the meadowplace has gone from edge-of-country pristine (established by previous owners) to wild meadow chaos (current owners) though Prince Charming would resent that slur on his valiant efforts to cut back the vegetation while the princess (!) sleeps/reads/cleans bathrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be encouraged - read what Alys said this morning https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2019/apr/24/why-you-should-turn-lawn-into-wildflower-meadow

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!