Monday 16 September 2019

The Magic Of A Broom.

Do you remember Calamity Jane ? Doris Day, riding shotgun on the Deadwood Stage, dodging those Indian arrows that were 'thicker than porcupine quills' ? The film would probably be frowned on now, for all sorts of reasons, but some of the songs have been stuck in my brain since childhood. The one that irritated me even then was "A Woman's Touch" - which was when Calam changed her fringed buckskin suit for a frilly frock and a pinny, and started cleaning up the cabin. How could anyone give up that exciting lifestyle for bland domesticity, I thought - and why should it be just 50% of the population who did the housework anyway? Look at these lyrics- as un-feminist as you can imagine!
A woman's touch can weave a spell
The kind of hocus pocus that she does so well
With the magic of a broom
She can mesmerize a room

It makes you blink, to stop and think
A woman and a whisk-broom
Can accomplish so darn much
So never under-estimate a woman's touch
That said, I am going to admit to a perverse pleasure in the acquisition of two brushes which have made housecleaning easier of late, especially after marathon sewing bouts. I can't show pictures of my stitching yet, as these items are for other people -but I can tell you that I managed to get the Dining Room back into use for the weekend. 
Although my Sebo vacuum cleaner is brilliant, it doesn't like all the little bits of thread and fabric trimmings which drift onto the carpet [despite my fancy new thread catcher] The beater bar collects lots of strands. I posted about that back in June. But I have solved that one now.
Meet my Wilko Stiff Bassine Brush [bassine is a form of natural fibre which makes very stiff bristles] When I finish my sewing, I crawl round the floor on my hands and knees, firmly sweeping all the threads and trimmings into a heap. I also have a small magnet to hand, to gather up any misplaced pins. It only takes 5 minutes, and then I can quickly vacuum the floor clean, and all the Sebo picks up is dust.
And here's my handy little compact brush&dustpan, made by the OXO company. This gets used for sweeping the table cloth. It is so neat and easy to use - whether I am sweeping up threads, paper trimmings after craft work, or breadcrumbs. My Mum had an ancient 'table dustpan' when I was a child, and this is the modern equivalent.
I found mine going very cheaply in John Lewis, and it lives in the dining room, where it gets plenty of use. Especially after I've been eating croissants.
I can do housework when I want to - the probably is, I do not often want to. Having appropriate tools does make the task easier though.
Here's Doris



2 comments:

  1. I have both those brushes - the little one is handy at the caravan. Love,love, love Doris Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found a way to gather all those threads, although crawling around on my hands and knees don't appeal to me! I don't think I have ever seen one of those table brushes and dust pans, but, then, I haven't really looked for them! I think one of those would be nice to have when I am making paper crafts!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!