Saturday 7 September 2019

ZWW - The Waste Audit

The sheet was on the fridge - and very soon I realised I would have lots of repeats. Some of this was stuff for recycling.
FOOD

  • All the tea bags and coffee grounds can go into the food waste bin, which Dorset Council sends off to an anaerobic digester- making soil improver, compost, and a renewable energy source.
  • Plastic milk bottle go into recycling [now Kids' Club is over, I no longer need to keep the tops for making snakes]
  • Food scrapings from the plates go in here too, and trimmings from fruit/veg prep. I wash much of my veg rather than peel it these days.
  • lots of my food was in tins, card packets or glass bottles - these all went into recycling.
PAPER PRODUCTS
  • Post - junk mail, and envelopes, and newspaper [pretty papers kept for crafting with]
  • paper bags, if ripped[if not, they are folded and put in a drawer for further use]
  • cardboard boxes from food - pizza etc [plastic window ripped out, see below]
  • one roll of loo paper, flushed - paper core retained for crafting.
LANDFILL

But sadly there were landfill items, which I ended up putting in our regular black bin

  • 'security' collars from a jar of mayo
  • plastic wraps from cake, biscuits, salad goods, cucumber
  • the plastic/foil sheets which contain my daily meds. It proved impossible to separate the foil from the plastic- so all went into the black bin
  • a tetrapak carton which had contained UHT milk - not easily recyclable round here. Perhaps Hans Rausing, multimillionaire head of the family who developed this packaging  who died last week, has left some of his fortune to pay for more recycling plants! and a second one which contained orange juice
  • 4 little packets from dishwasher tabs
  • a polystyrene box which contained Bob's fish'n'chip lunch
  • 3 wipes
  • 4 paper tissues
  • a piece of clingfilm, used to wrap something from the freezer
So, did I decide there were areas where improvement is possible?
  1. I've  considered changing my dishwasher tabs for the unwrapped capsules- but these are usually made of plastic. That will flush straight into the ocean! The only non plastic ones I have found are these - but they are twice the price of my regular ones. Many of the plastic free liquids contain palm oil. I think I shall stick with my current choice as the best of a bad set of options.
  2. I'm trying to find a better source of UHT milk [I use it for my homemade yogurt] which is not in a tetrapak. I note that more expensive brands of orange juice often come in recyclable plastic bottles - maybe I can find a brand where the price differential is manageable within my budget,
  3. I'm using real hankies a lot more- but sometimes a paper tissue is more hygienic!
  4. I'm wondering what my favourite chippie would say if I raised the issue of polystyrene boxes with them. I cannot see the old days of chips wrapped in yesterday's newspaper returning, can you?
  5. Many medications - especially over-the-counter ones now come in blister packs. For a number of years, I've asked family members who holiday in the US to bring me back a bottle of acetaminophen tablets [aka paracetamol] One large bottle lasts us ages - cheaper, and more eco friendly a dozen little boxes of 16 pills individually encased in plastic&foil. An odd holiday present, I admit, but most useful
As Liz says, much of the waste-reduction is managed by thinking ahead. If you plan, purchase and prepare your fresh food, you don't need to buy pre-made, pre-packed meals. My salad came in a single use bowl, with a thin plastic sheet over the top. The sheet has gone, but I've been using the bowl all week to hold pins and thread as I am sewing. If things are going to landfill eventually, it is good to use them more than once.
Finally - there is one thing I have implemented this week; a number of mailshots we receive come in a plastic sleeve- this week, two came in plastic labelled "Recyclable- place in the 'bags' bin at your supermarket" So I have labelled an empty tissue box and it is in the kitchen, ready to receive these, and any other plastic carriers I acquire [like the ones from the pharmacy when I get my repeat prescriptions]. Once it is full I shall take it to the supermarket.
HOW WAS YOUR ZERO WASTE WEEK?
update - thank you to everyone who has made the helpful comments below- some great ideas there. I shall find out about Dorset and tetrapaks. And I love the idea of a 'charity basket' hung on a tree for the birds!


8 comments:

  1. Tetrapaks are recyclable around here. Could you ask your council about their plans to improve things near you? Like you I use UHT milk for yoghurt. I've got tissue boxes for batteries, printer cartridges and used postage stamps - now one more to add to the linbe up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I put coffee grounds direct on the garden - they condition the soil and make cats less likely to use my garden as their toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put tissues and kitchen paper on the compost together with the paper shredding - mixed with the green waste it soon rots down.
    We have a tetrapack recycling bin here.
    The orange juice problem can be solved by just buying fresh oranges - fully compostable. Your chippy could use cardboard boxes and I think you will find gradually mailing shots will go back to paper envelopes / a paper wrap round band or no covering - as the Neal's Yard catalogues are posted out now.
    I get frustrated at how long it is takng businesses to get a grip on this waste problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did well with your recycling and composting, in an effort to reduce what goes into the landfill. I generated two bags of litter box/bathroom tissues that got tossed in the trash bin. The bag of kitchen waste/food scraps isn't full enough to be tossed, yet. Everything else was recycled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to recycle as much as possible, so you can imagine my shock when I drove past the Norfolk showground and saw the abandoned tents and rubbish left behind after the sundown event. It made front page news in our local newspaper. Some of the undamaged tents are being donated to charity; that's something I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The National trust and my teaching union are now sending their mailshots and magazines enclosed in compostable bags. Hopefully we'll see more of this. Our local supermarkets no longer recycle plastic bags, and still pack some items in plastic bags for home delivery even when we've opted to have no bags. My must-do-better is to bring recyclable things down from the bathrooms instead of just having one big binsweep for the landfill bin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't think there is an alternative to loo roll!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gran talked about squares of old newspaper on a string. Not sure I'd want to return to those days!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!