Tuesday 11 May 2021

I'm A Twirly!

It's official - my OAP Concessionary Bus Pass has arrived.[which is more than you can say for my OAP payment] And I'm officially a "Twirly" [for non-UK readers- bus passes in England work from 9.30am - if you try to use them before that, they say you're "Too Early"]

At least the photo is better than the one on my Driving Licence and Passport. Bob does not get his pass till November. I can get into Dereham [eg for the Bank] quite quickly- the bus runs every hour, and takes about 15 minutes. 

It takes an hour and a half to get into Norwich bus station [that's three times as long as going in the car - is it worth it?]  On the other hand, I can also use the pass for buses in both London and Manchester, which may prove useful on future family visits.

Bob has just renewed his car insurance- and found that the best policy came via Saga["Now I am feeling old too!"] 

I'm approaching all this retirement stuff with a Positive Mental Attitude- after all, my word of the year is adventure 



12 comments:

  1. It must be so weird to have so much time on your hands after being busy for so many years! You will do good things with your time, I know!
    The bus pass is v useful. My mum used it even if the journey would be significantly longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that I will be able to read books on the journey, instead of concentrating on the road. That is a plus

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the reminder as I keep forgetting to apply for a bus pass, but then how many buses are there in North Dorset?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fewer than there used to be, I suspect

      Delete
  3. Retirement is brilliant! And it keeps getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're embracing the Golden Years admirably, Angela. I would get rid of my car had I not have to travel for school pick-ups and further afield to see my youngest grandchild. I've managed thus far with the expense since retirement but I fear it will become a luxury the older my car gets with big garage bills, etc. I love getting the express bus into Edinburgh from here, it only takes under the hour and no parking to consider when I get there. Maybe there's an 'express' bus to Norwich?I also just changed my car insurance when it came up for renewal last month, despite me asking the insurers for a cheaper quote. Apparently, they couldn't get me a better deal so I said 'bye bye' and got a really good deal online through 'Compare the Market', which included breakdown cover so I could cancel my AA subscription which was also becoming too expensive. Just changed my broadband provider too. I'm on a roll!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't bother with a B&Q seniors card. You have to spend pounds to get a few pence back!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations!
    I was so cross not to get mine on my 60th birthday that when the day finally came I was on the doorstep of the council offices at 9am! I used it quite a bit, it saves on petrol and parking fees when you have plenty of time but the dreaded virus has put a stop to that for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Covid19 has put paid to many trips for many people

      Delete
  6. Did you ever read Marigold Jam's posts on her travels with bus pass? i think she covered many miles on her jaunts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd completely forgotten about MJ, yes they were fun posts!

      Delete
  7. Love the story behind the twirly! Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!