Friday 7 May 2021

It's Got To Go

When we changed to a King Sized bed in 2005, I bought a new king sized duvet, plus cover. And [being mean  frugal] I modified two existing duvet covers to make them larger. The 2005 cover split and wore out years ago. The other two have remained. One was bought in 1997 - so is coming up to 25 years old, but is wearing well [see left] 

The other was a 1979 wedding present. That is not so much 'wearing well' as 'wearing thin'. Bob suggested that however strong my sentimental attachment to this cover is, I perhaps ought to consider whether it is time to remove this from my store of bedlinen. I muttered a little about Marks&Spencer items are not the same quality as they used to be - I doubt a replacement purchased now would last me 42 years [nb, I am not sure I shall need a King Sized duvet cover if I live to be 108]

But I have had to admit defeat - when I put fresh linen on the bed this week, I realised the fabric is so thin now, you can actually read the newspaper through it! It's got to go! Despite passing on a load of bedlinen to a charity in Bournemouth before we moved, I have a superfluity of double duvet covers here. I shall have to see if I can do some 2-into-1 reconstructions.

On Saturday there is a Village Yard Sale - all carefully managed, socially distanced etc. So our duplicate items are being stacked up in the Futility Room. We have a few things which will raise a quid or two. We're also planning to have a 'freebies' table, for those items we feel have some life in them, but are not worth paying for...all those little glass ramekins and terracotta dishes, empty ring binders, etc

After all, who needs two cheese graters, or 48 teaspoons? It's all got to go Let's hope for fine weather and lots of punters. I'm aiming to make space, rather than make money.




9 comments:

  1. Oh, wish I was nearer or had time to drive so far north! as I've had a teaspoon shortage for a while - never see them at car boot sales. I bet other people are like me and they accidentally chuck them out with the dishwater or into the compost bin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I will be posting you some teaspoons as a housewarming gift!

      Delete
  2. I believe I have some bedsheets that are as thin as that! :D Good luck with the yard sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's OK until someone catches a toe and rips a hole!

      Delete
  3. We've just given in and got rid of a duvet cover like that! And I find that, no matter how hard you declutter before moving, there's always another round after you've unpacked at the other end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the words of the ubiquitous Anna and Elsa 'leg it go'! I think your new gaff deserves some nice new bedding. Go on, treat yourselves. Ikea do some lovely cheap bedding (quality good though) and you can order online - I just ordered some curtains and worth the £6 delivery for me because I would have spent that in petrol to get to my local store.Hope the village sale goes well. Things are beginning to open up here too but I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local IKEA is a 'click and collect' - they have very little stuff actually to purchase instore [apart from coffee and cakes in the Cafe, currently closed] However I must give a shout out to Muneeb, the incredibly helpful assistant there. Two weeks ago, he finally managed to arrange a delivery date for our wardrobe- we've only been waiting since December 2019!!

      Delete
  5. Some of my John Lewis (yes, them!) bed linen has lasted decades and been passed on. The strong 90's colours are a bit too garish for me now.
    However, as the owner of more ramekins than a person ever needs, I wish I could be there for your yard sale to see if there are any more that I simply could not live without......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a lovely King Size duvet from our local charity shop which I bought as a backdrop for the Pied Piper of Hamelin. I then discovered it matched our spare room decor perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!