Saturday 22 January 2022

Shelf Life

In Kirby Muxloe, and Ferndown, we had a mantelpiece and a Tapley display shelf. My various Willow tree figurines were displayed there- and some were also on the bookshelf in the lounge at Cornerstones. The nativity set only comes out during Advent. 

But now - the bookshelves are full of books, the Tapley shelf was sold along with the matching wall cupboards - and my pieces have been packed in a box for 9 months. After much debate, we decided that there was room for a set of shelves over my bedside cupboard. A place where I could enjoy them, and they would be safe from little fingers!

I am so pleased with this [thank you Bob] Bob repurposed some wood he had in his stash, and used clever chrome brackets [designed for glass bathroom shelves] to fit these three shelves neatly to the wall. You will see that the bottom shelf is wider - that is because one piece has a much wider 'footprint' than the others. Also, having declared in 2013 that I had enough, and wanted no more, there are two new pieces in the range [this and this] which I might like to possess one day. They're a bit more expensive, and will have to wait for a special moment.

My first piece was bought on our original trip to the USA in 2002 - "angel of courage". That was followed by two 'family' pieces, and the year we got Cornerstones, Liz gave me "mi casa" for Christmas.

That was followed by three more angels [loving, caring and winter] and then Bob gave me 'blessings' [that was Christmas 2012]


Finally, in March 2013, Steph gave Bob "quest" - he had just written off his motorbike in a nasty accident. She said she wanted him to know she was sad about the bike, but truly grateful she still had her Dad. I love the way the guy is sitting on a pile of books, reading, with another open at his feet, in an ongoing quest for knowledge. Very Bob!



Do you have any Willow Tree Figures? 

Were they bought to mark significant events?

How do you display them?






16 comments:

  1. I just have Willow Tree un Advent, Christmas and Epiphany. In Advent I display the nativity figures without the Mary and Jesus figure but instead have a figurine of a pregnant woman. Christmas she goes and the "proper" figure appears along with the shepherds and sheep. The magi are displayed separately until Epiphany and when they arrive at the stable and the shepherds go elsewhere. I usually leave them on display until Candlemas (2nd February). I found that if I leave them those extra four weeks people talk about them as they assume I have been tardy in putting them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a brilliant 'developing' display. I have one Shepherd, but no magi in my nativity set. But I often draft in some of the angels to be a heavenly host in the background!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful items Ang, the only shelves I have on the boat surround the TV and my hubby keeps them full of clutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HUH - space must be at a premium on the boat, so little room for ornaments and displays. I wonder if that's why the old barges made a point of decorating their functional items like buckets etc with beautiful painted designs

      Delete
  3. They look beautiful on their personal new shelves. I love them! I don't have any. Not really into figurines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful figurines and shelves! I don't have any Willow Tree figurines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was given one years ago by my dear friend whose cat I looked after constantly, and it is a seated angel cradling a cat, probably the "Kindness Angel". It comes out in Advent with my 'heavenly host" of other small angels which adorn a small windowsill for Christmas. I love it and it reminds me of my friend who passed in 2018, and of course the cat itself which was quite at home in our house whenever it came to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the living room we have four that chart the growth of our wee family. I've had a few others as gifts, but they discoloured, or lost their dainty bits, so now there's just one, the name of which has long escaped. Isn't it beautiful that Blessings has her arms open? Is she receiving, or giving? Or both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Blessings are reciprocal - be a blessing, and be blessed. The name of the figure is usually printed on the base.

      Delete
  7. Such nice shelves for the figurines. I got one of two women sitting together, it is called Heart and Soul. I got it as a gift from my very dear friend in US, she said it was us two and our friendship. She sadly passed away from cancer some years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must be a very precious gift, representing treasured memories

      Delete
  8. I don't have any myself but they are extremely popular aren't they and very beautiful in their simplicity.

    I love the 'Quest' figure, simple but striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that there is more than one book in use is clever - for reading, reference and seating

      Delete
  9. I love willow tree figures. I bought a figure with a book to celebrate my first (very small!) royalty payments. They deserve to be displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a great thing to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!