Thursday 26 October 2023

Coming Clean...For Less Than Half A Crown!

We all piled into the Skoda on Monday Evening for a special outing. A few miles down the road we encountered a minor RTA - which meant Bob had to reverse some distance up the narrow country lane.  The guy directing us said they did not need help. There was no room to pass - or to turn round - and we needed to get out of the way before the emergency services arrived. Back on the road again, and poor Jess was very sick. Having taken her and parents home, Bob and I began the journey again with just Rosie [avoiding the RTA road - although we did hear sirens] The three of us did have a good outing, in the end.
On Tuesday, we had to clean the inside of the car. "What do we have for cleaning carpets?" said Bob. I had tidied up all the cleaning stuff last week - and discovered I had a lot of carpet cleaning materials. Down the years, I have had reason to clean a lot of carpets it seems. Both here at Cornerstones, in Kirby and Ferndown.
We did discover on Tuesday afternoon, that the Little Scrubber has died completely. The LS was a freebie when we got the Vax Rapide around 25 years ago. The VR packed up in Dorset after 19 years, so I cannot complain that the LS has stopped working.
However the 1001 Troubleshooter Spray, combined with the Dr Beckmann Carpet Stain Remover [useful built in brush] seem to have done the necessary in getting the stains and smell out of the car carpets and upholstery.
We only have two rooms with carpets here - everywhere else is tiles and laminates, with rugs. So I do not think I need to invest in another Vax. I must ask around at church if anyone wants an [unopened] bottle of Vax shampoo! Do you remember this ad ?
And if you are really old, like me, what about this one?
How do you clean carpets? 
Or do you just have hard floors and rugs?



26 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I remember them both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane from Dorset26 October 2023 at 07:41

    I can still hear the 1001 jingle now (hope it goes away soon!)
    Did you really move house with ALL those bottles?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the earworm. The 2 vax ones were in the box with the LS, and 2 of them were here already.

      Delete
  3. First time I'm seeing these ads. I used to have wall to wall carpeting and I would rent a carpet shampooer and shampoo them or spot clean as needed with some carpet shampoo that you'd spray on and vacuum up. Later, I pulled up all the carpets, refinished the hardwood floors, and have one area rug that I spot clean with dish soap as needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many people regret going wall-to-wall with their carpets [especially those with toddlers and pets] Hard floors are definitely more popular now

      Delete
  4. Oh yes I remember kids being sick in the car!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Jess. hope she is well now. Dr Bachman's carpet cleaner is on of the best I have ever used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is extremely good [I like the Dr B laundry stain removal range too]

      Delete
  6. How's Jess now? Better I hope!
    I'm also an oldie, and remember both adverts. I love the 'posh' voices on the 1001 ad, especially the new "plestic peck"!
    We have carpets everywhere apart from the kitchen and bathroom and they have underfloor heating, I'm definitely one for comfort rather than ease! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plestic Peck! Love it!! Those posh ladies always talked about clipping queue-pons from the paper too. Underfloor heating sounds lovely for one's feet

      Delete
  7. Steam cleaner for hard floors downstairs, regular vacuum for upstairs carpets. Rugs taken outside on good days for a thorough shake-it-all-about!I loved Shake n Vac, not sure if it really did bring your carpets back!I remember my Mother down on her hands and knees with a scrubbing brush and the bottle of 1001 washing the carpets for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beating the rugs outside gets rid of a lot of aggression!

      Delete
  8. We borrowed a carpet cleaner when we moved in, to clean the carpets. Probably need to do it again!
    Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait till the warmer weather K, they will dry faster. I think you may have missed the moment for this year!

      Delete
  9. I remember both of those too !
    We have a mix of carpet and hard flooring, but with 3 dogs in the house we aspire to being all hard floors with rugs for softness. The dr thingy cleaner with the little brush on top is usually effective.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To misquote a well known phrase... "Never capet with children or animals"

      Delete
  10. I remember both ads! We have a small vax cleaner for our carpets. No laminate and rugs here, I remember how thrilled mum was when we got fitted carpets, no more dusting round the floorboard edges. We do have vinyl type tiles in hall, kitchen and bathroom though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then people found that the edges of the carpet often had a grey line where the vaccuum didn't quite reach! Vinyl in the bathroom is pleasant underfoot [with a bath mat for standing on safely with wet feet, of course]

      Delete
  11. I remember the last ad- has to smile at " for less than half a crown". Why do people in those old ads sound so strange? Did the ads really sound like that or has time altered the tapes? I find the same thing with old news tapes. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people were encouraged to speak "slowly and clearly" (and a bit posh, see Col's comment) People had got used to all those Public Information films in WW2 so perhaps the advertisers thought such accents made their claims more believable.

      Delete
  12. I think the best floor covering in rooms other than kitchen and bathrooms is a large area rug, square is best. Then you can rotate it around to avoid certain wear spots. Of course you need a finished floor below this but tile and wood can be cold. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier to manage hard floors isn't it

      Delete
  13. We lived with wall to wall carpeting for years, except for kitchen and bathroom floors, but we have had some taken up and only have 3 bedrooms and the family room area in the kitchen with carpet now. We have had a steam cleaner for carpets for years but it now leaks and I had to finagle my usage earlier this year to suck up the extra liquid, but I suspect it is beyond repair and we may have to go to rental machines next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These gadgets are fine when new, but as they age they become less effective in my opinion

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!