Tuesday 31 October 2023

Tiny Hedgehog, Large Rabbit, And Marvellous Mouse House

There were two or three shops I wanted to visit in Norwich, so early on Monday morning we set off - planning to start with breakfast and then shop. The weather was dry and sunny. First stop - the Cherry Leaf coffee house in St Giles. Neither of us had been there before. My original plan had been The Waffle House, but that didn't open till 10, and we didn't want to wait an hour.

It was very quiet, we had a good chat with our waitress. Unfortunately the baker doesn't deliver croissants on a Monday, so I had a bacon roll- and Bob had 'Posh' breakfast [poached eggs, on spinach on toast]


We then walked round to M&S - stopping at the Wood Green Charity Shop. I bought a Jane Greenoff Sampler book for £1. It hasd a lovely photo of the Catherine Archer Redwork Bristol sampler at the front, and useful pages at the back for charting, and recording personal projects. In the middle, tips, techniques, examples and ideas. I can see this book becoming very useful



M&S was singularly disappointing - I wanted to check out their LED candles, which a couple of people had recommended to me. I found an assistant who did not know, She went off to check.  No, they didn't have any, you need to get them online. She suggested I should buy them in Thorns, as she does - I said I'd got some M&S loyalty vouchers and Thorns won't take them as payment! 
Then up the hill to John Lewis. I went off to get Bob's present [his birthday on Saturday] and he went to look round electronics&tech. We had a pot of tea, and shared a scone. The JL Christmas decorations section was bigger and brighter [but no LED candles] They had a little 6 piece Christmas Matryoshka set, like the one Liz got me a few years back
Look carefully- there are only FIVE figures. Where has the baby gone? 
That's not right, said the woman next to me. 
Indeed not, I replied, after all, Jesus is the Reason for the Season
I was a little sad that so many of JL decorations appeared to be imported from China
The little pinecone hedgehog with the sisal bristly face and front was cute [Rosie would like it] was £9. In 2016 Wilko sold the identical one for £1 - you can buy this from A****n for £20. I speculated as to whether I could make one from a cone and a couple of old toothbrushes...
The lady next to me said "All these decorations cost around £8, how much does it cost to do this whole tree, do you think?" I think she was shocked when I said I thought you'd need around 200 pieces, so that's £1500 or thereabouts! Neither of us purchased anything.
Bob and I walked back to the car [he bought my Christmas present on the way - not a surprise, but I'm asking him to keep it till December]
Jarrolds windows were bright and colourful - with a one metre tall Sylvanian Rabbit dressed as Mary Christmas/Mother Christmas or whatever you call her



Home for a late lunch and then working on my latest project, which will be revealed later in the week. 
Before I forget, top marks to The Mouse House in Lincoln for good customer service. I'd ordered a gift for my SIL in London, as her birthday was last week. She went to move her bins out, after all that rain - and discovered a very soggy parcel pushed behind them. She realised it was cheese [and a box of damp crackers!] and just about deciphered the company name - but there was no legible delivery note/gift card etc, just soaking paper. She rang them, and they managed to find the order on their books. The assistant said it was from us, and also that it had been dispatched via Royal Mail over a week before - so if it had been on the ground in the rain all that time it was not safe to eat. A replacement parcel was sent immediately, and she has received it now. Thank you Mouse House. 



21 comments:

  1. Royal Mail are really dumb with where they put parcels sometimes. Our front door is under a canopy with a handy large bush where you can hide parcels but where have they left parcels for me? Behind the bins, uncovered at the side of the house or under the gate. Both places get completely saturated!
    I like the hedgehog! Boo to Chinese imports! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a box labelled "parcels in here please" And 99% of the time it is successful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between us we are gradually making/have made all our decorations including several forms of nativities. This year’s is in a 6” x 6” box frame and I am very pleased with how it has turned out. Norrie did the lasercutting and I did the other bits. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I'd love to see the laser cutter in action. Shortly Bob will have to start making the frame for the angel we're adding to our outside nativity. And I'll work on the costume...

      Delete
  4. NT has a lot o hedgehogs similar to yours. What a price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, NT have lovely little animals and birds in their Christmas range

      Delete
  5. I sent my dad a carrot cake for his bday, from Sponge company in Holt. He lives in Essex. The cake was delivered, posted through a small leadlight window! Cake was still edible but very unattractive. I emailed Sponge and complained, they sent a complete refund. I didn't expect a refund but just thought the delivery driver should be told.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is good to hear of another company working to put things right! I've just looked them up (not too far away from here) What an intriguing range of gifts (cake in a card!) and providing for dietary requirements too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cakes are lovely. I went to a baby shower and we each were given a tiny cake in a box! My friend's daughter had a selection of their cakes for her wedding.

      Delete
  7. Maybe Baby Jesus was inside the Mary doll! That would make sense! Even immaculate conceptions have to start somewhere! I despair at the amount of tat being imported into the country to fill warehouse size shops with even more plastic. Apparently a bouncer had to be employed last week in Edinburgh at a large bargain outlet which was selling cheapo Halloween stuff, to quell the masses who were queuing in the pouring rain! Such was their enthusiasm! I crocheted my pumpkins again this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shook all 5 - none rattled, but I like your suggestion! SO much plastic in evidence. Halloween seems even worse than Christmas for single-use tat.

      Delete
  8. The online candles are good, the votive ones are slightly fatter than tealights. The battery that they are fitted with doesn't last very long, but they came with spare batteries which are lasting better. I succumbed and also bought the clip on led candles for the tree this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I may yet try somebody other than M&S

      Delete
  9. I hope you manage to find some LED candles. We seem to be able to find them in many stores here in Canada. My most successful purchase, though, was on-line last year. I really wanted some little LED candles, one behind the back window of the creche, one hidden inside. I had two cheap ones, but they had to be lifted out to be switched on and off. Then I actually found what I wanted, two candles that not only had a remote, but could be recharged by plugging in with a separate cord to the computer! The rest of the year in winter, I display them behind two Chinese finely cut scenes in glass cases, where they light up the pagodas and trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours sound great. I'll find the ones I want (eventually)

      Delete
  10. I'm clearly not following the nesting dolls correctly. It looks like there are seven - three kings, Joseph, Mary, and angel and a ....pig?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two Kings at the back are separate sets (nested) in the front is a King, Mary, Joseph, an angel and a little brown donkey. But yes, his face Is piglike (he has long donkey ears at the side)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for clarifying that! Yes, it's odd there's no baby Jesus.

      Delete
  11. Mary Christmas/Mother Christmas is new to me. I think we'd call her Mrs. Claus, over here! I haven't been to any shops here since the first lockdown, but, no doubt the Christmas items are already out for sale in the shops.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!