Wednesday 25 October 2023

To Strive [And Not To Yield]

"Strive" is the motto of Miss Cackle's Academy for Witches in the series of books by Jill Murphy. I'm not really into witches myself, but the heroine [Mildred Hubble] is more like Blyton's  Darrell Rivers at Malory Towers, but with a cat and a broomstick [and better written imho] Rosie loves them.
Rosie has a party to go to at the end of the month, and needs a costume. She told me she wants to be Mildred and has got the cat sorted out! So on Friday I visited the charity shops in Dereham and came home with all I needed [total spend £9:50]  The family arrived on Saturday. Unfortunately Jess was not too well - so Rosie had a sleepover with us Sunday night, and we spent Monday working on the costume.
I did  not have any striped ribbon, so set Rosie up to colour black stripes on a wide pale grey ribbon, using a fabric pen. We then ironed that to fix the colour. Although the TV Witch has a cloak with a collar, I decided to make one with a hood [using half a black sheet and a red curtain from my stash] I made it reversible [see yesterday's picture of Jess, modelling it!]. You never know when you will need a red cloak.
The M&S pinafore dress [RSPCA] was a little big, and the straps had D ring adjustment. So fiddly* - I swapped them out for dungaree clips and buttons from my stash. The hat was £1 [PACT], and I made a Strive badge from felt, and a slightly larger one to appliqué to the tunic. The over the knee socks [Cancer Research] and the tie [EACH] and I was almost there. I found a white school shirt in Poundland sale for £1. I made a red sash too.
I know I spent more time than I needed, making this. Rosie would have been happy with a plain hat, and a simple black cloak. But her holiday has been a bit thwarted as activities had to be curtailed whilst Jess was sick. And I wanted to encourage Rosie, she had a good half term report at Parents' Evening.
But the costume is done and dusted - and can go into the dressing up bag afterwards. * I loathe D rings on garments - they often slip and sag. I'm not sure it is fair to expect children to manage them. 
I have shown Rio how to twist the wire edge of the hat into a figure eight then fold in half. The hat is then flat and can be slipped into a small square bag. But Abracadabra! when you get it out, it pings magically back into shape. Much easier to transport to the party if it is a windy day.




22 comments:

  1. Rosie is so lucky to have a grandmother who can sew and make costumes for her! Sorry to hear that Jess was not well; hope she feels better, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless, Jess seems to recovering now

      Delete
  2. Utterly brilliant - what a great grandma you are. Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grateful for the opportunity to have fun at the sewing machine!

      Delete
  3. Fab costume! Rosie will enjoy having a great costume to wear. Sorry to hear that Jess is unwell, hoping she will be better soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosie will look really splendid. What would we do without charity shops?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CS are useful on so many levels - a good way to recycle, an inexpensive place for resources - and an opportunity to support the charity and bless others. And a good volunteer opportunity for many people too...

      Delete
  5. That's wonderful! And such a scavenger hunt to find everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it took less than an hour, I got extremely wet in that heavy rain!

      Delete
  6. What a great costume! You are very clever! I hope we get to see a picture of her wearing it!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She should be round for a final fitting later

      Delete
  7. What a great dressing up costume and all from preloved items. You definitely are a supergran for making this outfit with such attention to detail. Look forward to seeing Rosie wearing it. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful costume, wonderful Grandma, lucky Rosie!
    Hope Jess is feeling better now.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess is much better and they now hope to go and visit other family members

      Delete
  9. This is terrific! You used your usual creative genius! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing costume you put together! I'm really taken by those socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a bargain at £1.99 [I was tempted to buy a pair for myself!]

      Delete
  11. This outfit is utterly fab and Rosie will have the extra special memory that you made it for her. Well done to Rosie in her recent parent's evening report and I'm pleased to read that Jess is feeling better xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love your little cutie pie bear picture! Aren't small children a delight? [when they are not throwing up!]

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!