Monday 12 February 2024

Happy Galentine's Day

No, not a misprint - this is a genuine event, invented in 2010, by the authors of the US TV series Parks and Recreation - to celebrate female friendship.
Apparently it is gaining ground in the UK - in Glasgow you and your mates can go to a BFF Brunch [Best Friends Forever] and many cinemas do special showings of films like Legally Blonde. Michelle Obama has been encouraging women to get together like this, for encouragement and empowerment [and food]
I had breakfast with a good friend a couple of weeks ago, and tea and cake with another a fortnight before that. I feel encouraged and empowered [and fatter]
As Rosie is with us this week, a romantic Valentine's Dinner tomorrow is out. So Bob and I enjoyed one on Saturday Evening. The Morrison's Valentine's Meal Deal runs from Friday 9th till tomorrow. I would definitely recommend this for taste and good value [nb there are vegan options too]
Starter; Smoked Salmon Verrine
Main; Rump Steak with heart butter, triple cooked chips, mixed green veg on the side
Dessert; Raspberry profiteroles
Wine ; Rioja
Individually this would have cost £34.50 - but in the Meal Deal just £15.
It was delicious! The portions were generous.
Please note the candles and beautifully folded napkins!
Please note, there is a difference between galEntine and galAntine. One is a celebration of female friendship, the other is a dish of fish or white meat, cooked, pressed and served in aspic 

23 comments:

  1. The meal looks delicious, Dh and I are having steak and a baked potato and green salad. Pud will be something suitable for our food plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter had the meal deal last night too. They had Camembert, lamb shank with greens and truffle mash, Prosecco and the same dessert. Excellent value. Not celebrated in our house so nothing special planned. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not keen on truffles (except chocolate ones)

      Delete
  3. Your dinner looks delicious and thank you for explaining the difference between galentine and galantine! Maybe one should serve a galantine on galentine's day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did they call it a "vitrine"? That's a shop window. A "verrine" is a little glass. Which is probably what you had! Rather than a shop window full of smoked salmon... The verrines are a popular little starter / apero snack here in France, often served as an "amuse bouche" in restaurants before the main event starts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. I didn't spot that AutoCorrect. Although a shop window fill of smokes salmon would be a treat

      Delete
  5. That meal looks lovely. I have to say I'm loving your playing with words so much recently. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love our crazy language, I really don't know how visitors to this country cope!!

      Delete
  6. Any kind of get together with likeminded lady friends is good isn't it?
    Valentine's Day - hmmmm,I used to insist we celebrate it but not so bothered now, I'm a little bit cynical these days 😉 However some of those meal deals can be good value and feel like a treat,
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The meal deals can work out very good value sometimes (especially if some components can be frozen for another occasion)

      Delete
  7. Lovely! I am having a few Valentine's celebration meals this week and already received two Valentine's cards. Morrison's sounds like an excellent shop. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you have some celebrations planned. Morrisons is one of the smaller UK supermarket chain, but just lately I think they have upped their game. This meal deal was excellent value for money

      Delete
  8. I had never heard of galentine's day. I expect one could celebrate at least one thing every day of the year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are calendars listing these things - I have already missed National Croissant Day this month

      Delete
  9. I used to have breakfast with 2 friends most Friday mornings. The one I had known the longest died in 2018, and the other one that I didn't know as well, became a special friend as we continued the get togethers, even during the pandemic when possible, with takeout coffee on a picnic table near the river. She died nearly 2 years ago and now I just have memories and thankfulness for them both having been part of my life.
    Your Valentine's meal looks great, and so nice not to have to cook but still have something delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard when we lose dear friends - I hope you are able to find a new Breakfast Buddy

      Delete
  10. We had a steak meal on Friday, steak with blue cheese butter (Aldi's best), homemade chips and onion rings, mushrooms and green salad. No pudding though. We were celebrating 50 years of marriage, but went out with family for a beautiful meal on Saturday. Have a good week. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh congratulations on your GOLDEN anniversary. I'm glad you could celebrate with family

      Delete
  11. The dinner sounds scrummy!
    Well CBC has agreed to a school media department event on Wednesday so no Valentine's day for us. He is at another school event tonight. I am at Gamelan on Thursday though he told me I should cancel it and then he's off skiing for a week. Kx

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!