Monday 19 February 2024

The Train Standing At Platform One Is ...

..for Stratford [or maybe Romford]
On Saturday I wrote about TfL's decision to rename the Overground lines at the end of the Underground system. The first four I mentioned all had great names, chosen by the public, which I fully agree with. But two had names which were extra special for me. And I think that possibly their names will be the least well known outside of the London area. So here  is a fuller explanation of the last two newly named lines

The Mildmay Line , from Richmond to Stratford - named for a small hospital very dear to my family. The Mildmay Mission Hospital was founded in 1866 by Rev William Pennefather to provide care for local people during the terrible cholera outbreak. Just twenty seven beds in three wards. 
The Christian hospital trained nurses, particularly those who wished to work abroad as Missionaries - but patients came from all parts of the local community, including many of the Jewish immigrants. At the end of the Victorian era, slum clearances threatened its existence- but a new site was found. The new building had 50 beds.The hospital was extended again - and in 1948, incorporated into the NHS. 
In the early 1970s, my friend Joy - a member of my Dad's church here in Norfolk - came back from Zaire, where she had been a missionary, and stayed here for many weeks receiving treatment, till her death. Dad drove down to London regularly to visit her. When Bob started at College in 1982, Dad came to visit. Another student's wife asked me "Who is that man?" I said it was my father. "But I know him!" - and Abigail then said "I was a nurse at Mildmay, the Christian Hospital. He was Joy's pastor. I remember, he came so often to visit - and we would stand by the bed as he prayed with her. I remember his wonderful prayers" She told us more about the work being done at Mildmay
A few months later, we heard that the NHS wanted to close Mildmay, it was too small, they said. The local community, and the many Christian supporters across the world were not happy. They planned a big rally in Trafalgar Square - but they needed someone to provide good PA. Bob loaded up our little Datsun, and set up his gear. I followed with baby Liz in the buggy. We all thronged round Nelsons column and cheered and shouted for the preservation of this Hospital. The redoubtable Helen Taylor Thompson spearheaded the campaign to keep it open. 
And so it became Britain's first and foremost HIV/AIDS Hospice. When many people [sadly including some Christian groups] were regarding all those suffering with HIV as evil men who deserved to be sick, Mildmay opened its doors and showed love and compassion.  Princess Diana was a frequent visitor, often arriving quietly, without the press photographers behind her. In 2011 the old building was demolished, replaced by a modern hospital. Harry has been a great supporter. So I am utterly thrilled it has been recognised in this way. I hope this generates more support for the charitable work it continues to do.
The Liberty Line from Romford to Upminster. Oh how I wish Dad, Mum, Gill and Auntie Peggy were here for this! This one is named for The Royal Liberty of Havering. In 1465, a royal charter established this manor as a "Royal Liberty" which gave the people special privileges in the way they were tried in court. The name has continued through the centuries [admittedly at the start of the 20th century, the privileges were revoked, but the name stayed]. The full name iis Havering-atte- Bower. Atte-Bower referred to a royal residence [ the monarch owned a property from the 11th to 16th centuries] 
A hundred years ago, the Royal Liberty School was established - a fee paying boys' grammar school. In the 1930s my Dad won a scholarship to study there. Gill's Dad, Uncle Ron went there too. [It's now a boys' comprehensive] 
The shopping centre in Romford is known as The Liberty. I was born in Oldchurch Hospital, Romford in 1955, at the time, the main hospital for the Royal Liberty of Havering. Liberty is such a precious thing, and I'm proud to have been born in a place which, for five centuries, recognised the importance of the ordinary people, and their right to fair trial by their peers.
These two newly named lines are therefore my favourites. 
Do you have any connections with any of the six? 

23 comments:

  1. How amazing to have that link with the Mildmay hospital, certainly worth shouting to save it. You must feel very proud to be a part of it. What a lovely true story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Friday, it was lovely to have a comment from Lesley saying she was BORN at Mildmay

      Delete
  2. I didn't know about either of these interesting connections. Thank you for enlightening us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I too hail from Collier Row, Romford, the name Liberty Line resonates strongly. The old Liberty Hall stood at the top end of Romford Market (established by Henery III in 1247). My brothers and I often used to walk up to Havering Green in Havering-Attee Bower (I believe the stocks are still there). And we spent many hours in nearby Bedfords Park. As you probably know Oldchurch Hospital was once the Union Workhouse and a new Queen's Hospital has been built across the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing your connection with collier row, I thought you'd be interested. I think you are right about the H-atte-B stocks. Coincidentally we had a visitor at church yesterday who worked at Queen's Hospital

      Delete
  4. What a lovely and interesting post. I know Havering well as my sister lived there when first married. We were Surrey people but she married an Essex chap. I was only 16 and used to visit her a lot at weekends. I have fond memories of the area. What a lovely memory for you of Mildmay Hospital and about your father offering such wonderful support through his prayers. Thank you for a very interesting post and I can understand why this recognition means so much to you. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sue. Memories are very precious

      Delete
  5. I have not been back. My Mum and Dad moved my brother and me to Surrey six weeks later. My only grandparents continued to live in Tottenham for years after. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a real connection to these, and it must be lovely to have so many memories around the names, especially those of your father. I remember jumping on and off tube trains coming up from College to do things in London. I wouldnt know where to start now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So interesting to read this. My parents live in Romford. My father died in The Queen's hospital which is the new Old church Hospital, he will be buried at Upminster. We used to call the Romford to Upminster line the push me, pull you train!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is brilliant information, I do love to learn the background behind unusual names. Google is my friend usually, today you have done it for me. Thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely piece of your family history. I went on to the Mildmay site and read about its history and the new building being opened in 2015. What a wonderful service it provides and it’s sad that it is only partially funded by NHS. Thanks as always for sparking my interest. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  10. How interesting even though I have no connection to any of these places. None that I know of anyway. Family names are Hall, Wilkinson, and Peden so they may have known those places.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely that the hospital is still open as a hospice for those who need especial love and care in their situation. I knew nothing either of the Royal Liberty of Havering. Thank you for sharing your own connections to these places.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting. Thank you. I just wondered if there was something missing in your text a little below the photo of Diana where it says “In 2011 the old building was Harry has been a great supporter.” I would hate to have missed something - your text is so valuable. Nicky K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Typo corrected. Now they have a lovely new building. Thanks for spotting that Nicky!

      Delete
  13. It's interesting to read how the lines are named. Absolutely no connection to any of them, of course! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thankyou for explaining the new names. I would not have known otherwise. Here in Germany we are hoping the street outside the Russian embassy will be renamed too. To Navalny Street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that will please the locals! but it is an interesting idea

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!