Friday 27 July 2018

A [Baptist] Mother's Ruin?


This summer, I have discovered a new treat. Belvoir Fruit Farms, that lovely Leicestershire company who produce elderflower cordial have introduced a new flavour. 
Botanical Juniper and Tonic
Well chilled, with ice and a slice. Delicious in this hot weather.
Yes, I know that there are those among my nearest and dearest who regard it an abomination to add fruits to their gin, and the whole idea of a G&T without alcohol is incomprehensible - but I think it's utterly delicious! 


My other guilty pleasure is nibbling dark chocolate Tunnock bars cool from the fridge. Having eaten one, it's great fun to fold the wrapper into a little paper boat. I love the way you can make a jolly striped gold and blue one with crisp white sails. 
Of course, if you buy milk as well as plain bars, you could make a whole flotilla of multicoloured boats...
Apart from these occasional treats, I've been munching my way through loads of healthy salads. Please do not refer to salad as 'rabbit food' - Steph tells me that it is important not to feed lettuce to rabbits. Apparently it contains a substance called lactucarium, which can make them very ill. It's other name is 'lettuce opium' because of its sedative and opiate properties! I learn so much from my daughters.
But I think this heat is getting to me!
What are your favourite foods and drinks in this stifling weather?

9 comments:

  1. I think I need to launch a flotilla. Today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salads are always nice in hot weather. But my favorite thing to eat when it's hot is ice cream! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Lettuce is very soporific'.
    A big jug of cold water with mint leaves is my best refreshing drink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I like your boats! I DO NOT like gin!!!
    To be honest, I am just drinking tap water in this hot weather.
    I DID know that about bunnies and lettuce as my flute quartet leader A has told me that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a glass of chilled tonic water with ice and a slice, don't always have to have the gin. Mr dr recommended it for stopping muscle spasms in cfs/me and I got a taste for it. Fab ice lollies are the treat of choice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interested to read about tonic and cfs/me

      Delete
  6. I too like a glass of tonic water with lots of ice - but I'm not averse to adding a drop or two or gin if needed! :-)
    I follow a low carb diet so a salad is pretty much a daily occurrence - although I add lots of bits & pieces, cooked or raw veg, fruit, a protein, maybe a 1/3 cup of grains on a few days. I hard boil a lot of eggs at the start of the week, always have cheese on hand and tomorrow I'll pick up a BBQ chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to consider buying the precooked chicken an extravagance - but when the fridge is full of salad stuff, it makes sense. I can put a meal together quickly and easily, and don't need to switch on the oven. So it saves time and energy, and the kitchen keeps cool.

      Delete
  7. Mint Magnums I'm afraid. Millions of them

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!