Saturday 6 November 2021

Autumn Leaves

My gardening book says that in November I need to mulch my bed with some fallen leaves. But I have no trees! However, as I walked home the other morning, a lady was sweeping up loads of golden brown leaves from the big tree which is on the verge beside her front garden. "What will you do with them?" I asked. She said they would go with the garden waste tomorrow.

 I asked politely if I could have them, and agreed to come back in the afternoon with my wheelbarrow. I now have four big bags of leaves, and I have got to know someone else in my village. I am not sure what my neighbours thought of me wandering down the close with a barrow, but who cares?

The thick leafy mulch is supposed to protect my spinach and garlic plants through the frosty weather. The tatsoi has hardly grown at all. Won't try that again!






10 comments:

  1. My school was on the other side of our local park. My mum sent us to school in the autumn with paper bags to collect fallen leaves on our way home. She had made a garden in our back yard and was very successful with the things she grew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so enjoying gardening now. When my girls were younger, it was a chore just keeping the grass cut! I admire young parents who get the children involved

      Delete
  2. The leaves will also warm the soil and give the worms lots to do over Winter dragging the goodness down through your soil to feed your plants. Well done you for daring to ask for them and getting to know a new neighbour in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went past her house yesterday and there are even more leaves on her drive (it is not her tree - just one of manyon the wide grassy verge between the pavement and the road through the village

      Delete
  3. Here I have seen recommendations for leaving the leaves in place in the yard to host overwintering bees and beneficial insects, or to take the lawnmower over them and let the fine pieces benefit the lawn. But your new-to-you neighbour has provided you with some useful mulch instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many leaves come off that big tree in front of her house, that even taking away my barrowful has left many more

      Delete
  4. This is a new hobby and interest which is pure win/win.
    Look how much fun you have already had from growing your own food! We have so many leaves it cost over $400 to have them removed last year. I am waiting until the last one is down and then will call a service. Some will be used as mulch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, we have lots of trees and thus leaves! You'd need more than a barrow to trundle them though. I was going to save them all up with fallen twigs for a winter solstice fire, but maybe the raised bed might like some?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a win-win! You received the leaves you wanted and your neighbor was able to get rid of four bags of leaves she wanted gone! :)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!