Thursday 18 August 2022

Chicken Feed

 "Look at that fungi, Mum, it's like a big pile of pancakes!" said Liz, as we walked across the grass from the museum towards the farm on Tuesday. And she was quite right

When we got home, I checked it out. It is called Hen-Of-The Woods, and grows all over Europe and the USA, often at the base of oak trees. It is edible, and in many countries [especially China and Japan] it is known as Maitake.

It has long been used in Oriental medicine to treat diabetes and hypertension, and there is ongoing research into whether it will reduce cancerous tumours. 

Watch a brief video here for more information on grifola frondosa. 

No, we did not pick any to bring it home for tea. But I have been thinking about a stack of pancakes for the last couple of days. Rosie likes Grandad Bob's Breakfast Pancakes when she comes for a sleepover - maybe he will make some just for me!

[other nature news - one of the bee-eater birds has fledged -details here

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope Bob made some pancakes for your breakfast, Angela. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to the bee eater birds-stunning colours! The textures and patterns on the hen-of-the-woods is fascinating-I zoomed into the photo for a closer look. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those birds beautiful? And as you say the textures of the fungi are stunning

      Delete
  3. Hello Angela
    I read you blog often but have never commented before
    Thank you for blogging - it brings a spark of joy to my day
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, thank you so much for your kind words. And well done for getting Blogger to accept the comment- so many people [myself included] really have to struggle sometimes!

      Delete
  4. Now you've got me wanting pancakes!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!