Tuesday 6 June 2023

MayDay To Whitsun

Over the weekend, my cross-country-collaboration package arrived from Kirsten. Having been unwell at the start of the month, she didn't get going as soon as she'd hoped. But her stitching is a great celebration of the month of May.

Beginning with mayday on 1st, she listed some significant events of the month - 6th, Coronation, 18th Ascension Day, 28th Day of Pentecost and 29th Whitsun Bank Holiday. It is a very traditional sampler piece, combining lettering with motifs- lovely use of random variegated yarns to give the idea of fields of wild flowers, the inevitable golden crown for our new monarch, anf bottom left, the Dove for Pentecost and the gift of God's Holy Spirit [sorry, I cannot seem to photograph that properly - it has a fine golden yellow outline]
I really like the figure 8s which are created with two overlapping diamonds.
The 'flat gift' is this cute  "Little Alphabet Book" which will get its own review at some point.
Full of information about words, and idioms and digraphs and phonemes - and all that stuff from the Literacy Strategy. Ms Palmer loves words, but shares my frustration with some of today's phonics teaching. 

Kirsten knows me well, and recognises how much I will love reading this carefully, savouring every nugget of information. Thanks K!
I've been busy doing some other sewing and knitting recently , and we are nearly through the first week of June, best get a move on with my stitching for this month.
I was talking to a friend on the phone at the weekend, who I've not seen for about 10 years. She was saying her son - now a young adult, has taken up cross stitching with a passion. He is producing some amazing designs, on very fine evenweave fabric.
I suggested he googled "Bristol Orphanage Redwork" to see how young people were doing it 200 years ago.


20 comments:

  1. Some very fine stitching going on between you and your sewing buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a learning experience for both of us

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that's a lovely piece from Kirsten. I, too, like the diamond 8's! The gift was a super choice! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My word, that is a beautiful piece of stitching! I like that the two of you are using sampler sewing in its initial format and showcasing events and stitches as you go. Dull here this morning but still no rain forecast-plants are wilting and so am I. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dull here, rain 🌧️expected☔. Which is a shame as I have laundry piling up and I prefer to dry it 😎outside in the sun 🌞

      Delete
  5. That is a lovely sampler! The colors are very floral. I love your description of it as field of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is such an attractive piece of needlework, Thanks for sharing x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so pretty. By the end of the year we should have two fabulous pieces I hope

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely neat stitch-y writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How delightful to let yourselves be so creative with the cross stich you swap! Methinks that creativity is the spice of life!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The project is great fun and I learn so much by researching ideas and also by looking at Ang's pieces. I love the double diamond eights too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really recommend a collaborative stitching project like this. I'm sure I've learned more ideas in the past eighteen months simply because there are two of us doing it and we spark ideas off one another. I think we were both a little nervous at first about how it would work, but we've developed our own rhythm . And it is not overly expensive - the packages are posted in in flat Graze boxes - slim enough to count as a "large letter ”. Happy to explain full details to anyone considering the idea - just email me.

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful piece of stitching and a delightfully suitable gift for you as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is a tiny treasure trove of delights for a word-fanatic

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!