Thursday, 23 July 2026

Time And Tide

My latest square is the one on the bottom of the front cover, that attracted me to the book in the first place. [this is Block # 82 Dash ] It turns out to be another slip stitch pattern, with 4 rows stocking stitch and two rows [both ‘knit’] with a pattern of 2 slipped stitches which gives this neat broken ridge effect. There are 13 ridge rows- 5 using two contrast colours and 8 in the main colour. It reminded me of waves breaking on the seashore! 

  

We have been up at the coast a lot in recent weeks, visiting my friend in the care home. From her window you can see the way the water appears to be different colours. 

I used white and navy blue as the two contrasts [as per the book] but my main colour was Hayfield Bonus dk yarn in a random dye shade called ’Breeze’. I liked the variations in blue – very sea-like!  



Because of the  randomness of the yarn, they have come out slightly different in appearance. And as they are unblocked, they have wavy edges. I couldn’t decide which one to send Kirsten, so I closed my eyes, and chose one at random  It seemed appropriate!





22 comments:

  1. They are very pretty, and it's a lovely soft fabric. I've got the rh square with the ombre effect in the colour change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hayfield Bonus comes in dozens of shades,pleasant to knit with, and washes well. I use it for the children's jumpers.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy knitting with random wool-always a surprise to see how to will knit up.Lovely knitting and will look forward to seeing what you receive.Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so pretty. The colours are very sea like. I can almost hear the waves lapping. We love living by the sea, we can see It from our house and we never tire of looking at it. You have captured it beautifully in your knitting. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are pretty and defo remind me of the sea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little ridges are like the crests of the waves

      Delete
  5. Both squares look equally good, I do like random yarns. I always used to find it made me crochet for longer as I loved to see the colours coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty. Wish I could find yarn like that here in the back and beyond of Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is spun and dyed in the uk

      Delete
  7. These are both lovely and it is interesting how the random yarn makes such a difference to the resulting square.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such a nautical square. I love the colours. I've never tried colour work, but you're tempting me to try.
    Though, to be fair, I'm unlikely to knit blocks as I loathe sewing pieces together and I'd rather just cast on 200 stitches for a blanket and be done lol.
    You make such amazing stuff

    ReplyDelete
  9. That variegated yarn is so pretty and both your squares turned out really well. I once lived in an apartment overlooking the ocean and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how lovely! 🌊🌊🌊

      Delete
  10. Lovely squares. The random yarn gives a unique effect each time.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!