Thank you to everyone who has recommended The Sommerdahl Murders on Channel 4 'Walter Presents'. We are slowly working our way through the 5 series and enjoying the show. It has really made me want to visit Denmark! Last year, Rosie went on a brief city-break to Copenhagen with Liz, and loved it.
When I visit new places, the three things that interest me most are the people, the history and the food.
Denmark ranks 5th in the world for 'coffee consumption per capita' - with a consumption of 3.7 cups daily. [Belgian is 9th, at 2.9 cups. Bob is definitely half Flemish] The phrase 'coffee and a Danish' is so common now. Bizarrely the name for 'a Danish pastry' in Denmark, Norway and Sweden is wienerbrød which means Viennese Pastry - apparently the recipe was brought to Denmark by Austrian Bakers. However in Austria, they call it Copenhagener Plunder. Crazy!
And as for Smørrebrød, which Danes consider a national dish, that's a whole other etymological minefield. I'm more used to the Swedish term smörgåsbord. Bob told me that this word means butter-goose-bread. I checked it out, and it does. But only if you break it into three. Smörgås means lump-of-butter. [I mean, we wouldn't translate car-pet into French as auto-chouchou would we?] Smørrebrød and smörgåsbord both mean buttered bread'
Well, now I am just keen to go over there and try some of this stuff sometime [the food, not the crime!]
Initially I thought the O on this poster was a potato [Brunede Kartofler is their popular Christmas dish of caramelised potatoes, which sounds delicious] But closer inspection revealed it to be just a fingerprint!





Sounds like you found a fun series to watch. Maybe you should get some pastries to enjoy while you watch the next episode. :)
ReplyDeleteHow has that idea not occurred to us already?!? ☕ 🥧 🥐 🍥 🥧 ☕
DeleteWe went to Copenhagen for a long weekend 20 or so years ago in 2010 to see the Christmas shop windows and the Tivoli gardens. It aas magical, even though I had a bad cold I was determined to see as much, and eat as much! as I could! If you do go then, make sure your BOOTS are very warm, and very waterproof... voice of experience!
ReplyDeleteThank you for that tip 👢 👢
DeleteAs an Austrian, I’ve never heard the term "Kopenhagener Plunder” used to mean Danish pastries; I’ve always known them simply as "Plunder” or "Plundergebäck" describing them simply by the type of dough used. Perhaps the reference to Copenhagen would be more commonly used in Germany? They're delicious anyway! 😋
ReplyDeleteThank you for that clarification. Maybe somebody from Germany can comment. And yes, it is the taste more than the name that matters!
DeleteI'll look out for The Sommerdahl Murders, that sounds very good. We currently on the second series of Trigger Point, it is NOT relaxing viewing, I definitely need something a bit gentler next. 😄
ReplyDeleteTrigger Point #4 starts tomorrow. SD is not quite 'cosy crime' but it has a softer side to it, and some humour
DeleteThanks for this, I somehow missed the discussion about the Danish series. Copenhagen is definitely on a wish list for me.
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
It was last Monday. I reviewed Prof T and Ludwig, and there were positive comments about the Sommerdahl Murders on channel 4 Walter Presents.
DeleteGlad you and Bob are enjoying the Sommerdahl Murders. Try and get to Denmark, its a fabulous country, lovely people, great scenery and food. The only thing I was disappointed in was The Little Mermaid, I'd expected her to be small but the statue seemed tiny. Have a good BH weekend, its a wet one here. Xx
ReplyDeleteI had not realised how tiny she was till I saw my girls in front of her! Wet here too, had to dash out and retrieve washing earlier.
Delete