Tuesday, 18 August 2026

Drawing Conclusions

Some bloggers are really good at art - Fat Dormouse  often adds a sketch to her posts, as does Kirsten. Sometimes it is a carefully constructed piece, other times a quick 5 minute sketch. But I am just no good at this. I have tried, believe me. In my personal sewing journal, I log all the projects I get involved in [in August I have altered 4 garments for friends and neighbours] but my sketches of these trousers and tops and dresses look nothing like the clothing I have been working on. And as for the garden logbook where I list my produce... Well I only managed six tomatoes this year, and I didn't think the 6 red scribbled circles are that spectacular.
I suspect FD & K would both encourage me by saying it is a practice thing, develop the habit of a 5 minute sketch every day and one will soon be creating great artwork [in my case, probably less Poulencs, more Pollocks!] 
I decided not to give up too soon. So over the weekend,  I marked the "eggs-to-be-used-up-first" with a red sharpie. It's a start...

Any suggestions for improving my drawing will be welcome!


32 comments:

  1. One of my cousins married a commercial artist (he did the Winnie the Pooh ads for Gales honey way back) -he could do instant sketches that were amazingly good likenesses of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fabulous. They should bring back their old jingle "Gales, Gales, pass the honey please. Think about the honey, think about the bees!"

      Delete
  2. Oh how I envy both Kirsten and FD! Like you, I lack the ability but I keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the eggs! The faces are so expressive, you can tell what they are thinking!
    I have an ambition to keep my eggs in a rack once I have a new kitchen.
    Step one for art; draw egg shapes randomly a piece of paper, add faces, arms and legs...
    Post it in your next blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Join the club! My drawing skills are pretty non-existent although I did do well in my Art O-level but since then useless. I like your egg faces a good idea. However your sewing skills are splendid! Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may stick to sewing , I did Art O level too [maybe it was easier then?]

      Delete
  5. My drawing skills are on a par with yours. My Dad could draw and my son is a brilliant caricaturist, so I obviously was a blip in the genes. I do have an excellent eye for measurements though. I told Alan that my new heated towel rail wasn't straight after he'd fitted it, he swore it was ... it was 2 millimetres out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have different skills. It is a very nice towel rail. With a fluffy towel on board, the 2mm will not show!

      Delete
  6. We all have different talents...I have a sewing machine (cheap but new) sitting on a table in my study, taunting me. I'm too scared to try anything on it!! If you want to try art, I recommend "365 Days of Art" as a good start. It's not cheap, but could be a nice birthday/Christmas present. You probably won't find a copy in the library as it's meant to be drawn in, but it gives lots of prompts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I shall have a look in Waterstones or somewhere

      Delete
  7. PS I don't consider myself much of an artist - I'm more of a copyist!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having struggled with this myself I do think for most of us great art doesn’t come naturally or easily……. but, yes, practice helps, I love the eggs too.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think true artistic ability is something you either have or you don’t but techniques can be learned to make your efforts acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don’t have much skill in drawing but P1 used to understand my drawings of illustrations for phonics lessons-think they were being kind! I think I will concentrate on my many crafty hobbies and keep scribbling for my own enjoyment. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Illustrations for phonics such a challenge! I could manage a simple cat, but other basic words were so hard to draw pictures for!

      Delete
  11. Perhaps if you were a great artist on paper you wouldn't be such a talented needlewoman! There are only so many skills we can be expert at. I can draw, but although I can create a good likeness of a person, I do not have the skill to create beautiful paintings from my imagination. I have to copy something, a photo or a real scene or person. As for my needlework, it is useful but limited in scope. No tapestries here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I will stick to "painting with a needle"

      Delete
  12. I noticed your eggspressions in the kitchen earlier!!! They are fun!
    I like doodling and drawing and used to get on trouble with my science teacher for filling the back of my science book with a melee of doobles!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🥚🥚🥚by the way.my egg rack, which you admired is a Tala one.

      Delete
  13. I love the faces on the eggs! Now that is giving me ideas (I've taken to putting small pieces of masking tape with the date laid written on them to tell the newer eggs from the older ones). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always helps to use them in order 🥚🥚🥚

      Delete
  14. My elder daughter is an artist ; some of her work has appeared on television.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your egg faces made me smile. Thank you Angela.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!