This year marks the 150th anniversary of the Mothers' Union, by Mary Sumner, a rector's wife in Hampshire. She had a passsion for supporting mothers and families, and for tackling both local and global issues, to make the world a better place. This was one of the first women-led movements. Mary believed that faith and compassion could transform lives. I found a plate in a CS in Dorset, with her personal daily prayer on it.
All this day, O Lord
let me touch as many lives as possible for thee;
and every life I touch, do thou by thy spirit quicken
whether through the word I speak,
the prayer I breathe, or the life I live.
Amen
let me touch as many lives as possible for thee;
and every life I touch, do thou by thy spirit quicken
whether through the word I speak,
the prayer I breathe, or the life I live.
Amen
Last week, BBC Sunday Worship celebrated this anniversary. I was very taken with the words of the prayers…
Heavenly Father, Thank you for the bold, brilliant women you’ve created – full of sparkle, spirit and strength!
Thank you for the quiet warriors and the loud laughers, the organisers, the dreamers, the givers of grace.
We praise you for the creativity that bursts out of women all over the world through art, leadership, love and laughter
Bless every woman leading change today, - in boardrooms, kitchens, parliaments and playgrounds.
Let joy rise in their hearts and strength in their souls.
Loving God, Creator, Sustainer and Source of all grace,
We thank you for the gift of Mothers’ Union
A fellowship of faith, rooted in love, reaching across the world.
Thank you for every hand that serves, for hearts that give
For lives poured out in quiet faithfulness.
Thank you for families given rest, for prisoners supported,
For the lonely offered friendship and for the weary shown kindness.
Thank you for the prayers said, the stories shared, the things knitted, the bread broken- for lives touched and communities renewed.
And we ask your continued blessing on this holy and healing work – AMEN
We have a MU Group locally, involved in all sorts of projects. They are bright, friendly women, doing Good Stuff! Long may the MU continue its good work. Grateful for Mary's vision all those years ago.


My grandmother was a great supporter of the MU and used to do the rounds giving talks to all the local groups. I have a box of faded typescripts of the talks.
ReplyDeleteHow lovely to still have her words
DeleteMy grandmother belonged to the MU. She was a strong and loving woman whose faith supported her throughout her life and many difficult times. That is a beautiful plate and prayer. Regards Sue H
ReplyDelete❤️👍
DeleteIs it open to women who are not mothers too? I’ve always wondered this and I’m hoping you know the answer. My late mother used to speak about all the jobs that were undertaken by women during WW2 as she was drafted to a company who made heavy machinery. Catriona
ReplyDeleteMU is open to all, married, widowed, single, female, male, with or without children. The only requirement is to be a baptised member of a Christian denomination and in sympathy with the aims of the Union. And yes, the contribution of women to WW2 is not always recognised as fully as it should be (I love the women's memorial statue in Whitehall)
ReplyDeleteMy mother was a member for over 65 years! Her mother and her grandmother were members as well. I am guessing that great grandma, who I knew well, could have been a member longer than Mum was because Gt Gma lived until almost age 96. My grandma died when I was only 5 days old so had a shorter life. JanF
ReplyDeleteWow, a whole family of wonderful women! ❤️
DeleteI'm another reader whose grandmother was active in the Mothers' Union. She may even have started the branch in Attleborough, not too far from you. Either way, she gave and gained a lot through it.
ReplyDeleteHave a good visit with your Mum!! Norfolk is a lovely county.
DeletePS at Oxburgh Hall, the Esther tapestry is on the ground floor. Mary Queen of Scots stitching is upstairs.
ReplyDeleteI think Mary Sumner would appreciate the words of that wonderful prayer.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you mentioned that men can also join the MU as I once worked with a man who was a member. Other men found it funny, but since he was 6ft plus and ex-military they didn't mention it to his face. His wife was a midwife, so I often wondered if that had something to do with him joining.
They have certainly shaken off their image of being prim Victorian ladies!
Delete