Monday 17 November 2008

A Drink With Jam and Bread

"There are those who love to get dirty and fix things.
They drink coffee at dawn, beer after work.

And those who stay clean, just appreciate things,
At breakfast they have milk and juice at night.

There are those who do both,
they drink tea." 

(by Gary Snyder, of the James Norwood Pratt Tea Society)

My teapot just got smashed. Spectacularly! I put a tray away on the top of the cupboard. then I put the kettle on and found some mugs. They the tray slid, slowly, silently, off the cupboard and fell down onto the teapot [which had some cold tea inside it] and the pot smashed to smithereens all over the floor in a nasty puddle of cold tea and leaves [the bags split]. I yelled, loudly, the dog was confused, and Bob came in from the garage to offer help in whatever crisis I was undergoing. [He is very good like that]

IM002956 Fortunately I have a spare pot which my cousin gave me last year ["I know you like dotty things, Ang!"] but it does dribble alarmingly from the spout. It looks pretty but I am not sure how long it will stay in use.

We drink lots of tea in this house. Fairly Traded, of course. Eleanor Roosevelt said "A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water."

enamel pot

I also possess a large enamel teapot- a proper Minister's Wife One- inherited from my mother - ideal for large quantities and church events - too large for everyday.

And  I have a small traditional "Brown Betty" - but that only holds two cups - not even two mugs worth- so a bit small for the two of brown bettyus.

I am Very Traditional in my views about teapots. I like them to be the classic shape, not 'novelty', preferably pot, not fancy bone china or stainless steel.And they need to pour without a dribble. And [although in Staffrooms there is often no choice in the matter] I prefer tea madredlabel teae properly in a pot -not with a bag swished about in a mug of hot water.

Liz likes Redbush and Bob likes Earl Grey and Green China Tea. But I am happiest with Red Label from Sainsbury's.

Riddle;

Q; "Why don't Marxists drink Earl Grey"

A: "Because they think Proper Tea is theft"

4 comments:

  1. and to add to that... I like lots of tea, any tea... I like making tea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you have tea pots like these where you are, but they are great!

    http://www.adagio.com/gifts/index.html?SID=84d0ac6164ba3065a0fce60715279141

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info about Adagio - I found their European site here
    http://www.adagio.uk.com/teaware/index.html?SID=41a9b3a3b23d71ff95ac36406556c046

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so glad that they have it where you live! I LOVE their tea pots and tea. :)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!